Inspect engineering measurement rules for complex civil, resource infrastructure and industrial projects. Use Australian and international measurement standards. Interpret and calculate specifications and drawings. Measure engineering works.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 02 Mar 2020
- 31 Aug 2020
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, our online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- interpret and communicate the principles and rules for measuring engineering works
- interpret specifications and drawings for measuring engineering works
- produce measurements for engineering works in accordance with industry principles and rules.
- Measuring Civil Engineering Works
- Measuring Site Clearance and Demolition
- Measuring Excavation and Filling
- Measuring Slopes, Tunnels and Shafts
- Measuring Dredging, Piling and Caissons
- Measuring Roads, Pavings and Railway Track Works
- Introduction to Measuring Mechanical Installations
- Measuring Simple Mechanical Services
- Measuring Simple Electrical Installations
- Introduction to Measuring Hydraulic Services
- Measuring Simple Plumbing Services
- Measuring Simple Drainage Services
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Online Quizzes/Tests
- Online assignment submission
- Standard Media
- Audio/Video conferencing
- Web links
- Resources and Links
- Online Assessment
- Printable format materials
- Audio-Video streaming
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
Note: Level 3 subjects normally assume a moderate level of prior knowledge in the area, eg from completing all Level 2 subjects or relevant experience.
No special requirements
This subject was previously known as Civils and Service Measurement.
An examination of the principles and rules of engineering measurement in infrastructure and industrial projects, using Australian and international standard methods of measurement. The subject focuses on measurement of construction works not classified as simple [residential, institutional and commercial] building works, rather civil and resource infrastructure as well as industrial projects.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Measurement Task (30%)
- Presentation (30%)
- Case study (40%)
Textbooks are not required.
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.