Warning! This subject requires you to do a practical placement, please see Special Requirements for more information.
- Inquiry based learning. Science and humanities inquiry skill development. Planning and assessment Artefact and community resources
- Geography, sustainability, place and space, EYLF, Australian Curriculum (or state curriculum)
- Family and local history, curriculum planning and assessment
- Social and emotional development as a foundation for civic and citizenship. EYLF
- Social justice, human rights education, global education. EYLF, Australian Curriculum (or state curriculum). Curriculum planning and assessment
- Scientific literacy in the Early Childhood context. Holistic science teaching and learning
- Biological Understandings; conceptual development in the early years. Talking science and the nature of effective questioning. EYLF, State Curriculum
- Physical science understandings: Multimodal representation and reasoning scientifically Assessment of science learning. EYLF, State Curriculum
- Chemical Understandings. Managing resources and a safe science environment. EYLF, State Curriculum
- Earth and Space Science Understandings.
- Science inquiry centres; cross curricula priorities; Aboriginal science and Sustainability. EYLF, State Curriculum
- Chat Rooms
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Embedded Multimedia
- Online assignment submission
- Standard Media
- Web links
- Online Assessment
- Resources and Links
You must either have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject, or currently be enrolled in the following subject(s) in a prior study period; or enrol in the following subject(s) to study prior to this subject:
Please note that your enrolment in this subject is conditional on successful completion of these prerequisite subject(s). If you study the prerequisite subject(s) in the study period immediately prior to studying this subject, your result for the prerequisite subject(s) will not be finalised prior to the close of enrolment. In this situation, should you not complete your prerequisite subject(s) successfully you should not continue with your enrolment in this subject. If you are currently enrolled in the prerequisite subject(s) and believe you may not complete these all successfully, it is your responsibility to reschedule your study of this subject to give you time to re-attempt the prerequisite subject(s)
- PlacementDetails - The fieldwork for this unit includes a 15-day professional experience placement in a school. Placements are undertaken on a full-time basis in a continuous block at the specified time.
- OtherDetails -
Access to Microsoft Office or a unit approved alternative, Access to video creation and editing software
This is the second in the suite of professional experience subjects and includes both a theory and a practical component. This subject will critically examine the principles and practices appropriate for planning, assessing and reporting in educational settings for 3, 4 and 5 year-olds. Assessment strategies for this age group will be compared and contrasted. The professional experience practical assessment is a three week full-time block placement intended to enable practical application of the knowledge and skills gained along with providing further insights into the complexity of an Early Childhood Educator’s role. All required clearances to work with children must be obtained and valid, and all other professional experience requirements met. Both theory and practical components must be passed in order to pass the subject.
To view the Professional Experience Calendar, please see below:
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Professional Task (50%)
- Assessment Task (50%)
- Professional Experience Placement (Pass/Fail%)