Curriculum and Instruction Lower Secondary: English
Explore teaching and learning practices to support and challenge a diverse student cohort. Focus on curriculum planning, teaching strategies, evaluation, resources, and having a positive impact on student learning.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 29 May 2023
- 27 Nov 2023
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, their online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
Learn more about Curtin.
Explore Curtin courses.
QS Ranking 2023
Times Higher Education Ranking 2023
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- examine local, national and global research and evidence-based practices in English in Lower Secondary
- apply teaching strategies that support and enhance students’ literacy and numeracy development in this major teaching area
- evaluate a range of resources, including technologies, and make appropriate selections to inform English Lower Secondary learning and teaching programs
- incorporate knowledge of the needs of students from diverse backgrounds and across the full range of abilities to devise differentiated learning and teaching experiences that support and challenge all students in English in Lower Secondary
- employ discipline knowledge, principles and concepts to plan learning and teaching experiences with demonstrated impact in English in Lower Secondary.
- Lower Secondary English: Curriculum and pedagogy
- English-specific discipline knowledge: including new literacies, young adult literature, teaching through cross-curricula priorities
- Learning and teaching in the Lower Secondary English classroom
- Planning and assessment for Lower Secondary English
You should not enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
- CUR-EDS121-Curriculum and Instruction Lower Secondary: English (No longer available)
No additional requirements
This subject was previously known as EDS121 Curriculum and Instruction Lower Secondary: English.
This subject is designed to prepare pre-service Lower Secondary English teachers. Focus will be on curriculum planning, teaching strategies, evaluation, resources, the demonstration of positive impact on student learning and research relating to Lower Secondary English. Teaching and learning practices to support and challenge a diverse student cohort are explored.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Annotated resource list (50%)
- Inquiry lesson sequence (50%)
For textbook details check your university's handbook, website or learning management system (LMS).