Architectural Systems and Research Methods
Pick apart the advanced architectural systems that make up a complex project. Draw on a number of analytical and testing methods. Address the importance of a project's structure and façade. Juggle your research with a hands-on fieldwork component.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 25 Nov 2019
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, our online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- critically assess the methods of application of environmental and technological systems to a complex architectural project in relation to the need to sustain the natural and built environment
- critically assess the methods of application of environmental and technological systems to a complex architectural project in relation to the needs and aspirations of building users and the community
- evaluate the application of structural systems, including construction elements, materials and building components, to a complex architectural project
- communicate in multiple modes, applying international standards, to illustrate methods of rigorous exploration and testing of the nominated project and systems
- synthesise and document exploratory findings related to a complex architectural project.
- The Big Picture
- Passive Architectural Systems
- Adaptive Architecture
- Building Performance Modelling
- Building Performance Analysis
- Case Studies
- Audio/Video conferencing
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Online assignment submission
- Standard Media
- Web links
- Resources and Links
- Audio-Video streaming
- Online Assessment
- Printable format materials
In order to enrol in this subject, you must be accepted into one of the following degrees:
- OtherDetails -
Access to hardware: webcam, speakers and microphone
This subject was previously known as Advanced Applied Architectural Systems.
Students will explore the applied advanced architectural environmental and technological systems of a complex architectural project with diverse client profile, and a multi-layered response to environments. Using skills and knowledge’s relating to their understanding of multiple contexts, students will produce an outcome that will focus on a range of analytical, modelling and testing methods. In doing so they will develop an understanding of the interaction and relationships between key elements of the design, as a means of informing future design decision making processes. There will be a fieldwork component, the nature of which is dependent upon the focus of the research.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Project Research Report (40%)
- Technological Explorations Report (0%)
- Reflective Portfolio A (35%)
- Reflective Portfolio B (25%)
Textbook information is pending.