OHSE Law in Practice
Shape your understanding of how OHSE law operates.Question the fundamentals of common law, judicial precedent and the legal system. See where these concepts cross into the domain of work health and safety. Identify breaches of OHSE legislation.
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
- 01 Mar 2021
Established in 1991 after amalgamating four eastern Australian Catholic tertiary institutes, Australian Catholic University now has seven campuses, from Brisbane to Melbourne and welcomes students of all beliefs. Specialising in arts, business, education, health sciences, law, theology and philosophy, ACU encourages its students to think critically and ethically and bring change to their communities and offer this online through Open Universities Australia.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
Upon completion of this subject the student should be able to:
- Describe the Australian OHSE legal framework and legislative instruments;
- Interpret the functions, provisions and key terms of the Australian Model Work Health and Safety laws and their applicability in various organisational and jurisdictional contexts;
- Apply sources of legal precedences/case law and determine how these might impact on the OHS practices of the organisation or individuals;
- Identify possible breaches of OHSE legislation and sustainable recommendations to address such breaches.
- The Australian Legal System in Practice
- Maintaining currency with OHSE law, finding, reading and applying case law, statutory interpretation
- Overview of WHS Act and Regulation and Environmental Legal Framework
- Health and safety duties in practice
- Duty to consult and provide training
- Health and safety representatives and designated work groups
- Authorisations and licensing
- Offences and penalties
- Regulation and enforcement
- Jurisdictional issues
- Other relevant jurisdictions for OHSE practice (Electrical, Mining, Maritime, Explosives, Workers Compensation and Rehabilitation etc.)
You cannot enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
ACU-OHSE601-Principles of OHSE Management, or ACU-OHS601 ;
No special requirements
This subject covers the Australian legal system, including concepts of common law; the doctrine of judicial precedent and court systems. Students will have the opportunity to analyse and interpret specific legislation and case law regarding work health and safety, (with a focus on the national model laws), and protection of the environment, in so far as it relates to a workplace. The aim of the subject is to provide students with an advanced understanding of the legal framework regulating work health and safety in order to apply it to OHSE practice.
Assessment details, including dates, word limits and topics, will be provided in your study materials.
Current study term: 28 Feb 21 to 30 May 21)
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.