Postgraduate | ACU-OHSE611 | 2023
Improving OHSE Performance
Compare various approaches to occupational health, safety and environment management.
Learn how to lead OHSE teams. Identify ways to bolster performance at all organisational levels. Focus on communicating with influence and management system audits.
- Study method
- 100% online
- 100% online
- Entry requirements
- Part of a degree
- 12 weeks
- 17 July 2023
About this subject
On successful completion of this subject, you should be able to:
- Apply and appraise contemporary measures of OHSE performance including OHS leading and lagging indicators, in order to influence business stakeholders’ responsible and ethical decision making (GA3, GA5)
- Critically compare and apply techniques used to improve OHSE performance including constructing a business case to improve OHSE performance to meet national and international obligations and standards; (GA5, GA6)
- Critically appraise the steps and processes in OHSE auditing and relate these to other organizational systems to maximize improvements in OHSE performance, through demonstrating values, knowledge, skills and attitudes appropriate to the discipline and/or profession; (GA4, GA5)
- Communicate effectively with business stakeholders and key decision makers, from senior leaders to employees and external stakeholders, to measure, report findings, and improve OHSE performance
- Introduction to OHSE performance
- Application of OHSE Performance Measures - their derivation and use
- Critical Review of OHSE Performance Measures
- Strategic Planning and Business Case for OHSE
- Communicating OHSE with Senior Management and Boards of Management
- Communicating for Influence with Employees - Psychology of Safety Behaviour
- OHSE Performance and the Role of Audit
- The Audit Process
- OHSE Auditing
- Interview Skills for OHSE Practitioners
- Leading OHSE Teams
- Ethical Issues for OHSE Practitioners
This unit will help students understand practical OHSE data characteristics, applications and limitations. It will also assist students to interpret and make recommendations from third party research and reports. Students will develop skills in influencing decision makers through the persuasive interpretation of empirically grounded data, such as leading and lagging indicators of OHSE performance, and alignment with organisational culture and values and understand ethical practice for OHSEM.
Three assessment items are required in this Unit. To pass this unit, students are required to achieve an overall mark of at least 50% and must make an attempt at all three assessment items.
- Sustainability Report (40%)
- Online discussion (25%)
- OHS Business Case (35%)
For textbook details check your university's handbook, website or learning management system (LMS).
Established in 1991 after amalgamating four eastern Australian Catholic tertiary institutes, Australian Catholic University now has seven campuses, from Brisbane to Melbourne and welcomes students of all beliefs. Specialising in arts, business, education, health sciences, law, theology and philosophy, ACU encourages its students to think critically and ethically and bring change to their communities and offer this online through Open Universities Australia.
Learn more about ACU.
Explore ACU courses.
- QS Ranking 2023:
- Times Higher Education Ranking 2023:
To enrol in this subject, you must be admitted into a degree.
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
You should not enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
ACU-OHS611 (Not currently available)
No additional requirements
This is in the range of 10 to 12 hours of study each week.
Equivalent full time study load (EFTSL) is one way to calculate your study load. One (1.0) EFTSL is equivalent to a full-time study load for one year.
Find out more information on Commonwealth Loans to understand what this means to your eligibility for financial support.