Corporate Governance and Risk Management
Discover the qualities that effective corporate directors and managers demonstrate. Examine concepts that underpin corporate governance. You’ll define what makes an organisation socially responsible, and understand how to manage risk in an organisational context.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 25 Feb 2019
- 26 Aug 2019
Established in 1991 after amalgamating four eastern Australian Catholic tertiary institutes, Australian Catholic University now has seven campuses, from Brisbane to Melbourne and welcomes students of all beliefs. Specialising in arts, business, education, health sciences, law, theology and philosophy, ACU encourages its students to think critically and ethically and bring change to their communities and offer this online through Open Universities Australia.
On completion of this subject students should be able to:
- examine the concept of corporate governance and the role of managers and directors in creating socially responsible organisations;
- analyse and explain the role of corporate governance and risk management in responding to various stakeholders’ needs;
- analyse leadership and management processes in organisations with respect to governance and policy compliance;
- analyse the conceptual, contextual and ethical issues which bear upon corporate decision making with respect to corporate governance and risk management;
- critically evaluate and apply different organisational approaches to corporate governance and risk management.
- The concept of corporate governance
- The concept of risk management
- The history of corporate governance including failures and reform
- The link to corporate responsibility and business ethics
- The law and standards as they relate to corporate governance
- The roles and responsibilities of directors, boards and committees
- Effective board meetings and other governance processes
- Enterprise risk management
- Strategic versus operational risk management
- Risk management concepts and processes
- International models of corporate governance
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Web links
- Online assignment submission
- Online Quizzes/Tests
- Resources and Links
- Printable format materials
- Online Assessment
In order to enrol in this subject, you must be accepted into one of the following degrees:
No special requirements
Management’s understanding and ability to ensure best practice in corporate governance and risk management are seen as being of critical importance to an organisation. This subject provides an introduction to the theoretical, conceptual and ethical issues which impinge on the way in which corporate directors and managers work, solve problems and interact with their employees, shareholders, clients, government and statutory agencies, and the community at large. The nature of governance will be examined against a background of how ethical perspectives influence decision-making. Risk management will be examined in detail given its vital role in corporate governance.
- Essay (20%)
- Audit Report (50%)
- Case Study (30%)
Click on the titles of the listed books below to find out more:
Textbook information is pending.