Postgraduate | ACU-BAFN602 | 2023
A core MBA subject that sets out key financial management skills and knowledge. Prepare for business decision making, drawing on topics including ethics and common good, risk and return, and financing through debt and equity capital.
- Study method
- 100% online
- 100% online
- Entry requirements
- Part of a degree
- 12 weeks
- 24 Apr 2023,
- 09 Oct 2023
About this subject
On successful completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Appraise the goals and approaches related to financial management practices, and role of financing toward sustainability
- Analyse the issues involved in raising debt and equity capital for the firm in terms of their impact on the firm’s financial structure and risk
- Apply risk and return relationships to the valuation of financial assets
- Apply capital budgeting techniques to assess the financial benefits and costs of competing investment projects
- Construct the optimal capital structure of firms
- Goals and functions of financial management
- Environment, social and governance (ESG) practices and finance decisions
- Time value of money
- Financial planning and working capital management
- Risk and return relationships and the valuation of financial assets
- Capital budgeting and cash flows
- Cost of capital, leverage and capital structure
- Financing through debt and equity capital
- Dividend policy
This subject provides students with necessary knowledge and skills needed to key business decisions relative to financing, investment and dividend are made. Students will need to understand the concepts of risk and return, raising funds through issuing shares and bonds, investment evaluation, dividend policy, cost of capital, capital structure, leverage, and working capital management. Students will also need to compare and contrast the role of finance managers in financing and investment decisions faced by all firms. You will further develop skills in analysing and developing strategies for making business decisions to generate sustainable shareholder value.
In order to pass this unit, students are required to achieve an overall score of at least 50% and attempt all assessment items. Using constructive alignment, the assessment tasks are designed for students to demonstrate their achievement of each learning outcome.
- Research Report (25%)
- Group Report (25%)
- presentation (50%)
For textbook details check your university's handbook, website or learning management system (LMS).
Established in 1991 after amalgamating four eastern Australian Catholic tertiary institutes, Australian Catholic University now has seven campuses, from Brisbane to Melbourne and welcomes students of all beliefs. Specialising in arts, business, education, health sciences, law, theology and philosophy, ACU encourages its students to think critically and ethically and bring change to their communities and offer this online through Open Universities Australia.
Learn more about ACU.
Explore ACU courses.
- QS Ranking 2023:
- Times Higher Education Ranking 2023:
To enrol in this subject, you must be admitted into a degree.
No additional requirements
This is in the range of 10 to 12 hours of study each week.
Equivalent full time study load (EFTSL) is one way to calculate your study load. One (1.0) EFTSL is equivalent to a full-time study load for one year.
Find out more information on Commonwealth Loans to understand what this means to your eligibility for financial support.