A core MBA subject that sets out key financial management skills and knowledge. Prepare for business decision making, drawing on topics including ethics and common good, risk and return, and financing through debt and equity capital.
There are no available classes. Find another subject.
- 24 Feb 2020
- 25 Nov 2020
Established in 1991 after amalgamating four eastern Australian Catholic tertiary institutes, Australian Catholic University now has seven campuses, from Brisbane to Melbourne and welcomes students of all beliefs. Specialising in arts, business, education, health sciences, law, theology and philosophy, ACU encourages its students to think critically and ethically and bring change to their communities and offer this online through Open Universities Australia.
Times Higher Education Ranking
On successful completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Understand the goals, approaches, and ethical issues related to financial management practices, and role of financing in generating common good
- Analyse the issues involved in raising debt and equity capital for the firm in terms of their impact on the firm’s financial structure and risk
- Apply risk and return relationships to the valuation of financial assets
- Apply capital budgeting techniques to assess the financial benefits and costs of competing investment projects
- Construct the optimal capital structure of firms collaboratively
- Goals and functions of financial management
- Ethics, and common good in financial management
- Ethics and financial management
- Financial planning and working capital management
- Risk and return relationships and the valuation of financial assets
- Capital budgeting
- Cost of capital, leverage and capital structure
- Financing through debt and equity capital
- Dividend policy
- Online Quizzes/Tests
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Online assignment submission
- Web links
- Online Assessment
- Printable format materials
- Resources and Links
In order to enrol in this subject, you must be accepted into one of the following degrees:
No special requirements
This subject provides students with necessary knowledge and skills needed to key business decisions relative to financing, investment and dividend are made. Students will need to understand the concepts of risk and return, raising funds through issuing shares and bonds, investment evaluation, dividend policy, cost of capital, capital structure, leverage, and working capital management. Students will also need to compare and contrast the role of finance managers in financing and investment decisions faced by all firms. You will further develop skills in analysing and developing strategies for making business decisions to generate sustainable shareholder value.
Assessments are used primarily to foster learning. ACU adopts a constructivist approach to learning that seeks alignment between the fundamental purpose of each subject, the learning outcomes, teaching and learning strategy, assessment and the learning environment. In order to pass this subject, you are required to achieve an overall score of at least 50%. Using constructive alignment, the assessment tasks are designed for you to demonstrate your achievement of each learning outcome.
- Report 1 (25%)
- Report 2 (25%)
- Online exam (50%)
Textbook information is pending.
Textbook information is pending.