Biblical Hebrew A
Begin your journey to understanding and reading Biblical Hebrew. Familiarise yourself with the Hebrew alphabet. Grasp basic vocabulary and syntax. Explore the differences and similarities between Biblical Hebrew and other Semitic languages.
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
On successful completion of this subject students should be able to:
- work in a fully online, enhanced learning environment, to demonstrate specialised knowledge of the morphology, syntax and vocabulary of Biblical Hebrew
- read selected passages from the Hebrew Bible and translate them into basic English
- interact critically with commentaries on the text of the Hebrew Bible and display independent thought on grammatical arguments, identifying various solutions to grammatical ambiguities.
- The relationship between Biblical Hebrew and other Semitic languages
- The alphabet, morphology and syntax of Biblical Hebrew
- An introduction to the most frequently used words and idioms in the Hebrew Bible
- A study of selected texts from the Hebrew Bible
- An introduction to various lexical tools for Hebrew exegesis.
In order to enrol in this subject, you must be accepted into one of the following degrees:
No special requirements
This subject introduces students to the alphabet, basic morphology, syntax and vocabulary of Biblical Hebrew.
The assessment tasks for this subject are designed for students to demonstrate achievement of each learning outcome. Assessment in this subject attempts to focus on higher order thinking and also provide students with the opportunity to accept a high degree of responsibility for their learning. A range of assessment procedures will be used to meet the subject learning outcomes and develop graduate attributes consistent with University assessment requirements. Such procedures may include, but are not limited to: essays, reports, examinations, student presentations, case studies, online interactive student performance tasks.
- Assessments (100%)