How to become a legal executive
What does a legal executive do?Legal executives deal with cases involving property rights, corporate law, wills and trusts and lawsuit cases. They work on behalf of clients, providing information and regulations as well as representing them in legal action. They should have strong working knowledge of legal practices and stipulations and be able to analyse large amounts of information to advise clients on the best form of action.
Duties and tasks
- Analyse a variety of legal documents such as property sales contracts, mortgage documents, ownership rights, etc.
- Collect and analyse information from client cases and determine laws, regulations and legal actions to be taken regarding their cases.
- Compose terms and conditions of property contracts, land taxes and other related matters; draft wills and trusts on behalf of clients.
- Prepare documents and conduct investigations and interviews to build cases on behalf of clients or businesses.
- Research and remain informed on relevant changes in the law.
- Retain accurate and up-to-date legal files of client cases.
- Work on behalf of clients to determine if there are any planned developments, illegal building or disputes in property ownership where clients have interests.
- Australian Institute of Conveyancers
- Law Council of Australia
- Law Institute of Victoria
- Law Society of South Australia
- The Law Society of Western Australia
- Queensland Law Society
Discover online law courses
Discover online law subjects
Step up your career with these resources
Is a career in project management right for you?
Do you get a kick out of thinking big and getting things done? You could make a great project manager.
Are microcredentials worth it?
You can study a microcredential in just about any industry, from healthcare and education to business and marketing. Here’s why these skills-based short courses are worth your time.
5 qualities that make you a leader vs a manager
While managers dole out tasks, leaders take things a step further by inspiring everyone around them. Discover how you can become this kind of leader, no matter where you work.