For 25 years we’ve empowered over 350,000 students, by providing quality education that’s accessible to all. From students who didn’t finish high school, to those with multiple degrees, our open-door policy has enabled anyone to study online at university level, regardless of age, location, lifestyle or previous education.
We are the online study pioneers, paving the way for Australian universities to deliver courses to anyone, anywhere in the world. Now through 12 university partnerships, we’re able to enrol students in the same programs as on-campus, and offer the unique option of customised degrees through subject selection across multiple universities.
Our purpose has always been to provide tertiary education with the choice and flexibility to study what you want, how you want.
How it all began
OUA (previously Open Learning Agency of Australia) was formed to provide a solution to the changing needs of education. An initiative derived from Keating’s Creative Nation policy, OUA revolutionised education by harnessing the power of technology to provide access to the masses.
OUA was guided by basic educational principles that remain today:
- Admission should be open: there should be no prerequisites or admission criteria to begin open learning, and no quota or limit to the numbers who may study;
- The range of areas of knowledge and skills offered through Open Learning should reflect Australia’s needs in regard to higher education, vocational education and training, work skills, recreational interests, professional courses and bridging courses;
- Delivery should be flexible and maximise access;
- Open Learning should provide equity of access through Australia, and should therefore use modern communication technologies and innovative means, to complement and expand the reach of traditional print-based communication and education;
- Various certified outcomes should be available in accord with students’ personal and career aspirations; there should in particular be pathways available to various Bachelor degrees and other awards;
- Standards in all areas must be of the highest possible level, and appropriate quality assurance provision should be in place.
Where to next?
We’re working on bringing together more universities, more degrees and more subjects, so students can compare, choose and enrol online through us. Not only are we expanding our portfolio to provide more study options, we’re also increasing our website functionality to offer more personalised guidance.
We’re here to help
If you, or someone you know is thinking about uni study – we can help. Our student advisors have the knowledge and experience to guide you in the right direction and create a study plan that’s uniquely yours.
Don’t hesitate to get in contact, or fill in the form on this page to hear from a friendly student advisor.