Undergraduate Certificate in University Preparation
Give yourself the best start at university
Become a confident learner with this specially designed course for students new to higher education. Fully government funded for most eligible applicants, these subjects help meet the needs of students preparing to study.
Applications for 2020 have closed. Apply for 2021
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- No dates available
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
Upon completion of this course, students should be able to:
- Identify and implement strategies to negotiate the university environment
- Apply generic skills for academic purposes underpinned by principles of academic integrity
- Interpret, evaluate, and transmit knowledge and information in an academic context
This Undergraduate Certificate is open to applicants from a broad range of backgrounds.
Applicants with previous higher education study:
- Completed at least two subjects (equivalent to 25 UTAS credit points) of bachelor level study or four subjects (equivalent to 50 UTAS credit points) of associate degree level study, OR
- Completed the UTAS Diploma of University Studies or University Preparation Program (UPP); OR
- Completed four or more units in the UTAS Diploma of University Studies or UPP with no fail results
Applicants who have recently completed secondary education (in the past two years):
- A minimum ATAR of 40, OR
- Completed the TCE (or equivalent) with a minimum of Satisfactory Achievements (SA) in 5 x Level 2 subjects.
Applicants with previous VET / TAFE study:
- Completed a certificate III or higher in a related field of study, OR
- Completed a diploma or advanced diploma in any field of study
Work and Life
Applications on the basis of work or life experience:
- If you have not completed any of the above, but have relevant work and life experience you can complete a personal competency statement.
The University of Tasmania grants credit and recognition of prior learning that may include formal and/or informal prior learning. More information is available here.
The Undergraduate Certificate in University Preparation prepares graduates for university study. Students will undertake units which provide foundational skills and knowledge with which to begin their academic journey.
At the completion of this Certificate, students will be able to:
- negotiate the university environment confidently
- engage with academic information in a variety of contexts and formats
- interpret and evaluate knowledge from a variety of different perspectives
- reflect on and develop their capacity as learners
- undertake further study
Recommended Study Pattern
For students undertaking full-time study the following study pattern is recommended.
Year 1. 4 subjects in first year including
4 from the following electives:
- TAS-XAB011A - Learning at University
- TAS-XAB021A - Academic Writing
- TAS-XAB080A - Experiencing Science
- TAS-XAB091A - Academic Numeracy
- TAS-ZWT001A - The Wellbeing Toolkit
Satisfactory completion of 4 subjects, as required in the schedule, within 2 years from commencement.
Pick your subjects to begin.
Apply for the degree, or enrol directly into a subject. It's up to you!
You can apply for government funding or pay up-front.
This degree has open enrolment subjects which allow you to start without submitting a degree application.
You'll have the option to apply for the degree once you've successfully passed the subjects. In many cases, you'll even gain credit.