Master of Public and Social Policy
A unique course in Australia
Take a dual focus towards policy and social research. Learn how policy is shaped, before gaining skills to design and deliver your own. Use research to address sustainable communities, welfare, immigration, population health and more.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- No dates available
This research-intensive university in north-western Sydney offers a range of undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. With over 30,000 current students, Macquarie has a strong reputation for welcoming international students and embracing flexible and convenient study options, including its partnership with Open Universities Australia.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
On successful completion, a student will be able to:
- Develop advanced and integrated knowledge of the key processes through which public and social policy is developed.
- Develop advanced and integrated knowledge of one or more policy domains.
- Apply policy process and domain knowledge to policy design and be able to apply this knowledge to develop policy solutions to social problems.
- Apply established theories relating to public and social policy to compare and evaluate different policy designs.
- Utilise and interpret complex research and administrative data to develop and evaluate public and social policy independently.
- Undertake quantitative and qualitative social research, design social research tools and apply the knowledge gained from undertaking social research to policy design and evaluation.
- Apply knowledge and skills to make ethically and socially informed judgement in the fields of public and social policy and applied social research.
- Critically analyse, reflect upon and synthesise interdisciplinary public and social policy information, concepts and theories.
- Interpret and communicate policy information and social research to diverse audiences.
AQF level 8 bachelor honours or graduate diploma qualification in a related field or recognised equivalent, or
Meet two of the following three criteria:
AQF level 7 bachelor's qualification in a related field or recognised equivalent
Minimum two years relevant approved work experience at senior management level, professional certification or other recognised prior learning
AQF level 7 bachelor's qualification or recognised equivalent with a WAM of 65
Related fields for prior qualifications
- Social Sciences
- Applied Mathematics
- Environmental Science and Management
- Public Health and Health Services
- Urban and Regional Planning
- Tourism and Services
- Studies in Human Society
- Psychology and Cognitive Sciences
- Law and Legal Studies
- Journalism and Professional Writing
- Communication and Media Studies
- Cultural Studies
- Historical Studies
- Applied Ethics
- History and Philosophy of Specific Fields
English Proficiency Requirements
The required standard of English for this program is:
Academic IELTS of 6.5 overall with minimum 6.0 in each band, or equivalent.
All applicants to coursework programs at Macquarie University are required to provide evidence of proficiency in English.
For more information on accepted equivalents, please see English Language Requirements.
With its dual focus on policy analysis and applied social research, the Master of Public and Social policy (OUA) is a unique and innovative course in Australia. Through your studies, you will develop a deep knowledge of how policy is shaped, as well as the skills to help you analyse, design and deliver effective policy solutions to serve the public interest. You will also acquire the knowledge and skills to engage with and undertake research addressing global challenges facing contemporary societies, including sustainable communities, welfare reform, immigration, population health, drugs and alcohol.
Recommended Study Pattern
Structure - 80 credit points
Students have to complete the eight core subjects:
Core Zone - 80 credit points
- GEOX8010 Social Impact Assessment
- POIX8000 Policy Design: Concepts and Case Studies
- POIX8090 Advanced Introduction to Policy
- SOCX8015 Doing Social Survey Research
- SOCX8020 Evaluating Social Policy
- SOCX8035 Qualitative Methods for Policy
- SOCX8075 Policy Ideas in Focus: Framing Policy Problems
- SOCX8080 Making Public Policy in a Globalised World
Students must complete 8 subjects to qualify for the Master of Public and Social Policy
You can apply direct through Open Universities Australia.
Once you've checked your eligibility, apply and enrol for this degree following the steps.
Select “See subjects”
Choose subjects to begin your application. You can choose 1 or 2 subjects to start.
Complete your details
Provide your details and select a funding option. You can pay up-front or apply for government funding in your application.
We're here to help answer your questions. Our friendly student advisors provide 7 day support.