Master of Global Public Health
Think global when it comes to your health practice career
Take a global view of health practice. Develop your analytical skills and work to plan, implement and evaluate population-based health interventions. Further your career in research, management or public health practice.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
Online and some attendance
With a network of campuses across Brisbane and the Gold Coast, Griffith University is committed to progressive multidisciplinary teaching and research and a valuable online provider with Open Universities Australia. Already attracting students from more than 122 countries, Griffith's dedication to academic excellence is available across Australia through OUA.
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
Commencing from Trimester 1, 2019, this program will help you to develop and further your career in public health practice, research and/or management. It allows you to re-orientate your work interests in health to disease prevention and health promotion and is widely recognised both nationally and internationally as the public health credential for careers in public health.
The program focuses on the socio-ecological model of public health that emphasises and analyses the important interactions between the social, biological, economic and environmental determinants of health. They enable you to apply this analytical skill set to plan, implement and evaluate population-based interventions that protect and promote health.
The program has a strong focus on global health and provides you with the opportunity to focus your public health studies by selecting a range of electives in areas such as public health nutrition, health promotion, climate change, international health, environmental health, and health services management.
There are diverse career opportunities for professionals interested in moving into the public health field, developing health research skills and/or furthering competency development in public health practice areas such as:
- International health
- Humanitarian aid
- Health program planning and evaluation
- Health promotion
- Health policy
- Epidemiology and biostatistics
- Environmental health management
- Maternal and child health
- Public health nutrition.
You will be prepared for a variety of career opportunities with state and federal health departments, in public health units/teams, community health, local government, and in academia. Public health graduates are also highly sought after by NGO health agencies and international aid agencies.
As a graduate of the Master of Global Public Health, you will be eligible for membership of the following professional bodies:
To be eligible for admission to the Master of Global Public Health, applicants must have:
- a related Bachelor degree from a recognised University (or another tertiary education institution of equivalent standing);
- OR a Graduate Certificate in Public Health from Griffith University with a minimum GPA of 4.0 (using a 7.0 scale) - applicants with the Griffith Graduate Certificate in Public Health will be eligible for 40 credit points of advanced standing;
- OR a related Graduate Certificate (or equivalent qualification) from a recognised University (or another tertiary education institution of equivalent standing) - applicants may be eligible for up to 40 credit points of credit.
English Proficiency Requirements
English language requirements apply to International applicants and other applicants whose previous study was undertaken in a language other than English. The minimum English language requirements for such applicants for entry to this program are as follows:
- A minimum overall band score of 6.5 on IELTS (Academic) with no sub-score of less than 6.0
- OR a minimum score of 575 on TOEFL
- OR an internet-based (iBT) TOEFL score of 79 (no sub-score less than 19)
- OR no score less than 3+ in each skill of the ISLPR (conducted by ISLPR Language Services only)
- OR a minimum grade of C on the Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English (CAE)
- OR a minimum grade of C on the Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE)
- OR an overall score of 58 in the Pearson Test of English (Academic) with no score less than 50.
English test results must be no more than two years old.
Students who successfully complete the Direct Entry Program (DEP) will satisfy the English Language requirements for this Griffith degree.
There are placements associated with this degree.
Griffith University grants credit and recognition of prior learning which may relate to prior formal learning or prior informal and non-formal learning. For more information, please visit the following website:
To be eligible for the award of Master of Global Public Health (MGlobalPH), a student must acquire 160 credit points as prescribed below:
- Standard pathway:
- gain 80 credit points for the core courses and
- gain 40 credit points from the listed elective courses (from List B) and
- gain 40 credit points from the listed elective courses (from List C).
- Dissertation pathway:
- gain 70 credit points for the core courses and
- gain 10 credit points from the listed elective courses (from List B) and
- gain 40 credit points from the listed elective courses (from List C) and
- successfully complete the 40 credit point dissertation.