Master of Education
Take your education career to the next level
Pave the way for students and teachers as a leader. Learn how to create exceptional learning environments while managing people, time and resources. Study general educational leadership or specialise in educational wellbeing.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- No dates available
Southern Cross University believes in the power of change. Their graduates stride the global stage at the frontline of healthcare, transforming education in the classroom, and tackling the world’s wicked problems with scientific and engineering solutions. Students enjoy award winning support, teaching quality, and online delivery. Ranked among the best for many years, they will help you make the change you seek to transform your tomorrow.
Learn more about SCU.
Explore SCU courses.
QS Ranking 2024
Times Higher Education Ranking 2024
What you'll learn
By studying SCU Online’s Master of Education, you’ll be prepared for all the challenges that come with a fulfilling career in education. You’ll enhance your educational leadership skills and emerge as a dynamic and modern leader in education.
- Evolve your leadership style: Develop an understanding of various education leadership models, allowing you to refine and strengthen your own leadership approach.
- Be an advocate for positive change: Equip yourself to lead as a contemporary educational leader, catalysing positive change across all levels of the school environment.
- Apply innovative leadership skills: Evaluate the latest advancements in education research and apply your enhanced skills to diverse scenarios, ranging from crafting compelling grant proposals, providing impactful stakeholder recommendations and conducting evaluations.
- Stay informed with the latest concepts: Delve into the multifaceted landscape of social and political contexts that shape educational leadership, gaining insights into current concepts and the latest research influencing the field.
- Gain a forward-thinking mindset: Engage in cutting-edge concepts and stay at the forefront of the latest in research education, providing you with a forward-thinking mindset essential for effective leadership in the ever-evolving field of education.
As an SCU Online Master of Education graduate, you’ll be equipped with the knowledge and skills to positively impact the lives of those in school, no matter what career path you choose. Some of the potential career options and salary outcomes include:
- School manager, typical annual salary: $120,000
- Primary School Teacher, typical annual salary: $95,000
- Secondary School Teacher, typical annual salary: $95,000
- School Principal, typical annual salary: $170,000
- Principal, typical annual salary: $180,000
- Teacher, typical annual salary: $93,000
*Salary outcomes captured by Seek.com.au, accurate as of July 2023.
To qualify for entry to the Master of Education online, you must have:
- A four-year Bachelor degree in Education from any Australian university or equivalent; OR
- an undergraduate degree and a fourth-year level teaching qualification from any Australian university or equivalent, OR
- a three year Bachelor degree in Teaching and an education-specific Graduate Certificate from any Australian University, or equivalent.
Non-standard language admission requirements for international students (IELTS) with an overall score of 7.5 or equivalent.
Credit for previous study or work
We may recognise and grant credit for past education or qualifications in a process called advanced standing. If you're eligible for advanced standing, this can impact the number of units you need to study, reducing the time and cost of your overall degree.
Delivered 100% online, the Master of Education requires you to complete eight units in total (depending on recognition of previous education and professional experience). With six study periods a year, you could complete those eight units in as little as 16 months part-time.
You will study four core units, as well as choosing four units from one of our three specialisations listed below. You can choose to specialise (study four units from a single specialisation) or study four units in total from all specialisations for a general M.Ed degree.
- Prepares you to make business-like decisions in an education context
- Equips you with the skills to lead teaching professionals
- Learn invaluable financial and entrepreneurial skills
- Unique approach; focuses on the needs of teachers as well as learners
- Build environments where everyone can thrive
- Learn skills to respond to the diverse needs of students and enhance student wellbeing
Educational Inclusion and Diversity
- Create environments that foster lifelong learning
- Reflect on, and implement pedagogy that ensures diverse learners needs are met
- Implement effective use of technology that supports learning and participation in contemporary school settings
Degree structure details
Recommended Study Pattern
For students to be eligible to receive the Master of Education, 8 subjects (96 credit points) must be completed, comprising:
- 4 core subjects, and
- 1 specialisation, or
- any 4 subjects from the specialisations.
Degrees are usually made up of core subjects and electives. Some degrees include a choice of specialisations, so you can choose a study path to suit your career goals and aspirations.
This list is a general overview. Download the full Degree Guide for more information.
To exit with the Graduate Certificate in Education, students must complete 4 core subjects.