Master of Business Administration
Put yourself in a prime position for business leadership.
Build a foundation for career success as you relate your learning to your individual business experience. Explore contemporary strategic management practices. Conduct business research and critically evaluate your findings.
Flinders University is a globally-focused, locally-engaged institution with a reputation for excellence in teaching, learning and research. We offer world‐class education that develops the critical and creative thinking skills to support a student’s success. Our courses offered through OUA span business, education and law. They are designed with flexibility in mind, while delivering the advanced qualifications to take careers to the next step.
Graduates will be able to:
- explain the role of and apply economics, accounting, financial management, human resource management and marketing knowledge and skills in decision making and management of organisations;
- recognise the potential impact of local and global economic conditions and events, with emphasis on the Asia Pacific region, on the operations and strategic management of organisations;
- apply sound financial management techniques and analytical skills to authentic operations and strategic management issues of organisations;
- apply contemporary strategic management practices compatible with organisational sustainability, ethical behaviour and effective workforce relations;
- describe a range of research methods useful in the conduct of industry and organisation based projects, and discuss their benefits and limitations.
This degree prepares graduates for a wide range of business career opportunities and graduates with significant management or supervisory work experience will be prepared for successful careers in senior management.
Flinders University is one of three universities in Australia to receive accreditation from the prestigious Association of MBAs (AMBA) for its Master of Business Administration.
Applicants must normally:
- hold a bachelor degree or equivalent qualification and have a minimum of three years' full-time equivalent post-degree work experience by the commencement date of the course, or;
- hold a Graduate Diploma in Business Administration from Flinders University or equivalent qualification, plus a minimum of seven years' full-time equivalent work experience by the commencement date of the course, or;
- hold a Graduate Diploma in Business Administration from Flinders University or equivalent qualification plus a minimum of three years' full-time equivalent work experience after completing the graduate diploma by the commencement date of the course.
Applicants who meet the academic and/or work experience requirements must take part in an interview.
Students have the opportunity to undertake an industry placement or project.
Credit transfer may be granted, on application, for prior study completed in a relevant honours, graduate certificate, graduate diploma or master degree; accredited professional development; or relevant work experience.
Applications for credit transfer are assessed on a case by case basis according to Flinders University policies. Students must be made an offer for entry into a degree before lodging their completed credit transfer application, along with all necessary documentation for formal assessment. More information is available at https://www.flinders.edu.au/credit
This degree is intended for early and mid-career managers and professionals. It provides a strong foundation in business knowledge, and develops the skills necessary for a successful management career in business, not-for-profit organisations and the public sector.
It is designed to provide a strong foundation of business knowledge, skills and attitudes to support ethical, global business management of organisations including private sector business organisations, not-for-profit organisations and public organisations. Through experiential learning techniques students will develop knowledge and skills to conduct independent research, carry out industry and discipline related projects, and relate their learning to their individual business experience.
It is 1.5 years in length on a full-time basis and can also be undertaken part-time.
Recommended Study Pattern
Students complete nine core (compulsory) subjects and three option subjects chosen from a range of elective subjects available. These subjects aim to provide students with knowledge and skills to conduct independent research, carry out industry and discipline related projects, and relate their learning to their individual business experience.
As a guide, full-time students generally undertake two subjects per study period and part-time students undertake one subject per study period.
To complete the requirements of the Master of Business Administration, students must successfully complete nine core (compulsory) subjects and three elective subjects chosen from a range of electives available.