Master of Business Administration
Put yourself in a prime position for business leadership.
Build a foundation for career success as you relate your learning to your individual business experience. Explore contemporary strategic management practices. Conduct business research and critically evaluate your findings.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
Online and some attendance
- No dates available
Flinders University is a globally-focused, locally-engaged institution with a reputation for excellence in teaching, learning and research. We offer world‐class education that develops the critical and creative thinking skills to support a student’s success. Our courses offered through OUA span business, education and law. They are designed with flexibility in mind, while delivering the advanced qualifications to take careers to the next step.
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
Graduates will be able to:
- explain the role of and apply economics, accounting, financial management, human resource management and marketing knowledge and skills in decision making and management of organisations;
- recognise the potential impact of local and global economic conditions and events, with emphasis on the Asia Pacific region, on the operations and strategic management of organisations;
- apply sound financial management techniques and analytical skills to authentic operations and strategic management issues of organisations;
- apply contemporary strategic management practices compatible with organisational sustainability, ethical behaviour and effective workforce relations;
- describe a range of research methods useful in the conduct of industry and organisation based projects, and discuss their benefits and limitations.
- Work both individually and in groups to conduct business research and critically evaluate the findings to solve business related problems.
- Present theoretical concepts and complex ideas in both written and verbal formats appropriate for a range of stakeholder audiences.
This degree prepares graduates for a wide range of business career opportunities and graduates with significant management or supervisory work experience will be prepared for successful careers in senior management.
Flinders University is the first South Australian university, and only the third in Australia, to receive accreditation from the prestigious Association of MBAs (AMBA). For more information visit www.mbaworld.com.
Applicants must normally:
- hold a bachelor degree or equivalent qualification and have a minimum of three years' full-time equivalent post-degree work experience by the commencement date of the course, or;
- hold a Graduate Diploma in Business Administration from Flinders University or equivalent qualification, plus a minimum of seven years' full-time equivalent work experience by the commencement date of the course, or;
- hold a Graduate Diploma in Business Administration from Flinders University or equivalent qualification plus a minimum of three years' full-time equivalent work experience after completing the graduate diploma by the commencement date of the course.
Applicants who meet the academic and/or work experience requirements must take part in an interview.
English Proficiency Requirements
Flinders University conducts an English Language proficiency check on applications submitted for consideration to its courses.
This will be met in a number of ways, including if the applicants:
- first language is English (i.e. citizenship is held for a country where English is the official language)
- completed secondary schooling in Australia
- completed prior study in English (e.g. a Certificate IV or higher from a recognised Australian training institution)
- completed one semester of full-time equivalent tertiary study at a higher education institution
- completed a recognised Foundation Studies or bridging program
- performance in the Special Tertiary Admissions Test (STAT) meets the University's admissions requirements
- registered with an Australian professional registration body relevant to the applicant's proposed course (e.g. applicant holds current registration as a Registered Nurse, General Practitioner, Teacher, Physiotherapist, Occupational Therapist, Social Worker and such in Australia)
- achieved a score within an international English language proficiency test such as IELTS, PTE, TOEFL or Cambridge CAE that meets the minimum proficiency for the university
- completed an approved English language course from a registered English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students (ELICOS) Provider
In some instances, applicants may be asked to provide evidence they meet the requirements if the information required is not available in their application.
Students have the opportunity to undertake an industry placement or project.
Credit transfer may be granted, on application, for prior study completed in a relevant honours, graduate certificate, graduate diploma or master degree; accredited professional development; or relevant work experience.
Applications for credit transfer are assessed on a case by case basis according to Flinders University policies. Students must be made an offer for entry into a degree before lodging their completed credit transfer application, along with all necessary documentation for formal assessment. More information is available at www.flinders.edu.au/credit
The postgraduate program in business administration is designed to provide you with the necessary knowledge and skills for a successful career as a manager in a range of organisations. These courses may also provide graduates the opportunity to pursue entrepreneurial interests or work in a consultant capacity.
You will be able to study the new accelerated online degrees in a highly engaging environment, expanding your business skills into areas such as accounting, economics, strategic marketing, financial management, managing people, leadership, sustainability, supply chain and global context.
Our teaching philosophy and online content ensure that you can really engage with the person leading the learning while also interacting with your fellow students. You will have access to interactive activities, online group discussions and a capstone strategic business project.
It is 1.5 years in length on a full-time basis and can also be undertaken part-time.
Recommended Study Pattern
Students complete nine core (compulsory) topics and three option topics chosen from a range of option topics available. These topics aim to provide students with knowledge and skills to conduct independent research, carry out industry and discipline related projects, and relate their learning to their individual business experience.
As a guide, full-time students generally undertake two subjects per study period and part-time students undertake one subject per study period.
To complete the requirements of the Master of Business Administration, students must successfully complete nine core (compulsory) topics and three option topics chosen from a range of topics available.
Alternatively, students enrolled directly in the Masters program may choose only to meet the requirements for the Graduate Certificate or Graduate Diploma and exit with that qualification.