Warning! This is a restricted degree. Subject enrolment is only available to students admitted into this degree.
Master of Arts (Applied Linguistics)
Take your TESOL career to the next level
If you're a TESOL teacher looking to move into management, this could be the course for you. Cover language education, applied linguistics and professional challenges in in the field. Strive to improve the practice.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- 14 Nov 21
QS RANKING 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
At the completion of this degree, students will be able to:
- understand the theoretical principles and research practices underlying contemporary language education and Applied Linguistics and apply them in a sustainable manner
- formulate and investigate problems, propose solutions to current practices, and reflect critically on the relevant empirical and theoretical literature
- identify, access, analyse and synthesise information from a wide range of sources using appropriate technologies
- communicate information and ideas effectively in speech and writing in ways that are appropriate for a range of audiences
- engage effectively with appropriate technologies to store and communicate relevant information in conjunction with contemporary language education and Applied Linguistics practices
- demonstrate capacity for independent self-directed learning; critically evaluate personal performance through a range of learning interactions; respond to feedback with a view to development as a reflective practitioner and lifelong learner
- consider language education, Applied Linguistics and professional issues from a variety of perspectives and value-systems with a view to informing and improving professional practice and applying international standards
- appreciate the value of individual and cultural differences in language use and learning, and the important implications they have for effective practice and professionalism in the workplace
- work both independently and as part of a team in a way that demonstrates professionalism, a commitment to social and ethical practices and the capacity for future leadership in the field of language education and Applied Linguistics.
Past graduates have found opportunities working abroad in reputable English language teaching institutions such as The British Council, Bell School, Indonesia Australia Language Foundation (IALF), Regional English Language Centres (RELC) and university English language centres or Departments of Education/TESOL/Applied Linguistics among others.
An education/teaching degree assessed as being the equivalent of a four-year Australian degree (normally a Bachelor of Education or a four-year combined/double education degree e.g. BSc/BEd)
A bachelor degree of at least three years full-time equivalent and either a Graduate Diploma in Education, Master of Teaching or equivalent, Graduate Certificate in TESOL or CELTA (Certificate of English Language Teaching to Adults) or equivalent
A bachelor degree of at least three years full time equivalent and at least two years' full-time documented language teaching experience in the last ten years OR an honours or master's degree.
English Proficiency Requirements
Applicants need to meet Curtin’s English Language requirement as all degrees are taught in English.
If your education degrees were not solely in English, as per the International Handbook of Universities or the World Higher Education database please attach a scanned original copy of English Proficiency Test results. Admission requires an overall International English Language Testing System (IELTS Academic) (or equivalent test) score of at least 6.5 and competence in all test components (IELTS score of 6.0).
Please refer to the 'Minimum English Entry Requirements' document at: http://students.curtin.edu.au/local/docs/English_List.pdf.
Applicants are required to meet University academic and English language entry standards; details are provided at: https://study.curtin.edu.au/applying/english-language-requirements/accepted-english-proficiency-tests/
*** Please Note: If any academic or legal document is not in English, you must provide a colour scan of the non-English documents, including a colour scan of the official English translations of these documents. This is for comparison purposes. ***
Credit for Recognised Learning (CRL) is assessed on individual merit and is awarded for different types of learning, for example, studies you have previously completed or for relevant work experience.
Students must be admitted in an award degree of study before lodging their completed CRL application, along with all required supporting documentation for a formal assessment.
To apply for CRL, please visit the Curtin University website: https://study.curtin.edu.au/credit/
It is important to note accepted documentation includes scans of the original Transcripts and/or Award Certificate; front and back; in colour; and original size. For further information see the scanned documents and certification requirements and guidelines.
More information about the policies and procedures related to CRL assessment and appealing a CRL assessment outcome can be found in the Credit for Recognised Learning manual (PDF).
If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com
This degree is designed to develop and support the careers of teaching professionals and graduate professionals working in language-related areas.
Please Note: The degree does not include a practicum and it does not lead to a formal teaching qualification.
To qualify for the award of Master of Arts (Applied Linguistics), students must complete 7 subjects (6 single subjects and 1 double subject).
You can apply direct through Open Universities Australia.
Once you've checked your eligibility, apply and enrol for this degree following the steps.
Select “See subjects”
Choose subjects to begin your application. You can choose 1 or 2 subjects to start.
Complete your details
Provide your details and select a funding option. You can pay up-front or apply for government funding in your application.
We're here to help answer your questions. Our friendly student advisors provide 7 day support.