Graduate Diploma in Early Childhood Education
Launch a rewarding and in-demand preschool teaching career
Get ready to teach in preschools, kindergartens, and early childhood centres. You’ll study child development, literacy, and curriculum. Advocate for inclusion and equity. Learn in 4-week blocks and complete 60 days of professional experience.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
Online & on-campus
- No dates available
Victoria University (VU) offers a world-class education to students in Melbourne and beyond. Number 1 in Australia for Employability Skills, VU is the first Australian university to deliver the revolutionary VU Block Model of teaching and learning. It enables students to study one subject at a time, in smaller classes, allowing more one-on-one time with lecturers and greater immersion in each subject. Core to VU is its partnership with industry.
Learn more about VU.
Explore VU courses.
QS Ranking 2023
Times Higher Education Ranking 2023
On successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
1. Initiate teaching and learning practices that foster learner engagement in complex contexts and foreground Aboriginal standpoints in early childhood education.
2. Critically review on different ways of knowing, being, and doing founded on the view of children and families as capable contributors to conceptual and pedagogical decision-making in learning and teaching.
3. Design teaching practices that reflect an ability to contextualise, question, resist, rethink, and act towards equity and the public good.
4. Exhibit a broad and coherent body of knowledge of early childhood pedagogy, curriculum and assessment in relation to the changing nature of education in a rapidly-evolving global context.
5. Appraise, adapt, and exemplify a range of oral and written communication techniques to engage and connect with learners, their parents/carers and the wider community.
6. Create learning opportunities that embrace a rich and varied curriculum, ensuring that learning and teaching approaches are based on sound ethical principles and foster reciprocal relationships in early childhood settings.
Childcare job openings are expecting massive growth.
Thanks to the essential experience you’ll get from teaching early-childhood settings during your placement, you’ll be work-ready when you graduate.
With an ACECQA approved early-childhood teacher qualification, our graduates can find employment in:
- public or private kindergartens (preschool)
- long-day-care centres
- early-childhood centres in the state of Victoria, Australia.
Interstate applicants should check with their state’s relevant teaching registration board or authority to see if their state requires early-childhood teacher registration and accepts this qualification.
This course is Australian Children’s Education & Care Quality Authority (ACECQA) accredited and is recognised by the Victorian Institute of Teaching (VIT) for teaching registration in Victoria. It is not necessarily recognised in other states and territories in Australia.
Completion of an Australian Bachelor degree (or equivalent) in any discipline.
English Proficiency Requirements
Applicants with a Bachelor's degree from countries other than Australia, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, United States of America, Canada or the Republic of Ireland will be required to complete IELTS: Overall 7.0 with Listening 7.5, Reading 6.5, Writing 6.5, Speaking 7.5.
OR the following scores that serve as equivalent scores for the IELTS:
• ISPLR: Overall (3+) L (4), R (3+), W (3+), S (4)
• TOEFL: Overall (94), L (27), R (21), W (24), S (24)
• PTE: Overall (65-72), L (73), R (58), W (58), S (73)
Applicants with a minimum of a 3 year Bachelor's degree from Australia, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, United States of America, Canada or the Republic of Ireland will not be required to complete IELTS.
You'll complete 60 days of supervised professional experience, including:
• 10 days with children aged birth–2 years
• 10 days with children aged 2–3 years
• 10 days with 3–5 year olds
• five days in junior primary school
• 25 days in a funded kindergarten program (children aged 3–5 years in prior-to-school settings).
If you have completed study with another university or institution and believe you are eligible to receive credit for skills and past study, you can apply for credit (advanced standing).
Applications for credit (advanced standing) can be made as part of your course application.
Our graduate diploma allows graduates of degree programs to become early-childhood teachers. With the current 3-year-old kindergarten expansion in Victoria, this course places you in an excellent position to apply for work as a kinder teacher.
If you're a domestic student or you won’t be studying at VU on a student visa, you can study this course online.
You'll study units focused on children from birth to five years, learning how teaching practice can include children and families as capable participants in education.
You'll also gain hands-on work experience in a range of settings, including childcare and kindergartens, graduating with expertise in early-childhood learning built on a strong sense of social justice.
Gain insight into the early years by studying these fascinating areas:
- child development
- teaching practice that includes Aboriginal perspectives
- education and curriculum studies focused on childhood and relationships
- family and community contexts
- advocacy and activism in early-childhood settings
- history and philosophy of early childhood
- ethical early-childhood professional practice.
Recommended Study Pattern
To attain the Graduate Diploma in Early Childhood Education students will be required to complete:
- 96 credit points of Core units.
Course structure and units
- Early Childhood Development, Learning and Teaching 1. Unit code ECE6001, Credits: 12
- Early Childhood Curriculum and Pedagogy 1: the Sciences. Unit code ECE6002, Credits 12
- Contemporary Issues, Social Contexts of Learning and Social Justice. Unit code ECE6003, Credits 12
- Languages and Literacy in Early Childhood. Unit code ECE6004, Credits 12
- Early Childhood Development, Learning and Teaching 2. Unit code ECE6005, Credits 12
- Early Childhood Curriculum and Pedagogy 2: the Arts. Unit code ECE6006, Credits 12
- Professional Issues. Unit code ECE6007, Credits 12
- Inclusive Practice in Education. Unit code ECE6008, Credits 12
To attain the Graduate Diploma in Early Childhood Education students will be required to complete 96 credit points consisting of:
- 96 credit points of Core studies.
Graduate Certificate in Early Childhood Education