Graduate Certificate of Design
Get ready to make your mark on creative practice
Explore how creativity, project management and business systems all play their part in design. You’ll broaden your career options as you gain insight from industry experts. Learn to solve complex design tasks with enhanced skills.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- No dates available
At Torrens University Australia you can tailor your study to suit your lifestyle. Thanks to their innovative digital learning system you’ll gain the ultimate in flexibility, and still receive personalised guidance from academics and access to work placement, mentorship and internship opportunities. Online you can attend live classes or view recorded sessions, connect with lecturers and fellow students, and access content on-demand 24/7.
Learn more about Torrens.
As one of Australia’s fastest growing universities, we take a progressive approach to learning. Our courses are co-designed, developed and delivered with industry, giving you confidence that you’ll graduate job-ready. During this course you will:
- Critically evaluate findings and discussions in contemporary design literature.
- Demonstrate mastery in design theory and practice to generate innovations that respond to future need.
- Develop skills to argue the case to support a particular design position, drawing on relevant research, analysis and evidence.
- Engage in rigorous intellectual analysis, criticism and problem-solving to create a range of solutions to identified design problems.
- Learn to resolve a range of complex design tasks using enhanced skills and knowledge.
- Articulate design principles, theories and practice to a variety of stakeholders across a range of cultural groups.
- Apply highly specialised design knowledge and skills to solve problems in a professional context.
Upon graduating, you’ll be well equipped for a successful career as an inter-disciplinary designer. Embark on your adventure and apply the theoretical and practical skills you’ve learnt, flexing your ability to problem-solve and create innovative design solutions. You will be ready to pursue a career in one of the below roles or pursue further study with the Master of Design. Potential career paths include:
- Art Director
- Design Strategist
Torrens University Australia offers flexible entry options and study pathways, whether you’re finishing school, pursuing career progression or looking for a change. Entry requirements for this course includes:
- Completion of a bachelor-level degree or postgraduate study AND
- A written proposal and a Portfolio of relevant work AND
- A Resume and a Selection interview
Work and Life
- Work life experience demonstrating the ability to undertake study at the required level.
English Proficiency Requirements
Standard English language requirements apply.
Visit our admissions centre for more information: https://www.torrens.edu.au/how-to-apply/admissions-criteria
Don’t meet the entry requirements? We have numerous pathway programs to get you started. Contact our Future Student Advisors to learn about alternative entry options.
This course comprises two core subjects and two electives. The core subjects cover Design Identity, contextualising philosophical and theoretical text, and Design Context, which aims to provide an understanding of the user experience.
You’ll also be able two complete electives from our MBA and Project Management programs, ensuring you graduate as a design expert with an extensive understanding of operating in global creative businesses.
The Graduate Certificate of Design can be completed in two trimesters with a full-time study load, or four trimesters if studying part time.
Tailor your study to your lifestyle thanks to our innovative digital learning system, accessible from anywhere with 24/7 personalised support. With all your course materials online, and the option to study full or part time, on-campus, online or a blend of both it's all about flexibility.
Course duration: 2 trimesters full time, 4 trimesters part time
Recommended Study Pattern
The course structure comprises 2 core subjects and 2 elective subjects over levels 400 and 600. Electives available to students may be chosen from the elective bank or can be taken from any Torrens University course at the appropriate level with approval from the Program Director (or delegate).