Graduate Certificate in Health Services Management
Step up to leadership in your health services career
Commit to this accredited postgraduate health services degree, and graduate ready to lead services and improve systems. Explore today’s health service management issues. Understand the health workforce. Learn from experienced healthcare professionals.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
With a network of campuses across Brisbane and the Gold Coast, Griffith University is committed to progressive multidisciplinary teaching and research and a valuable online provider with Open Universities Australia. Already attracting students from more than 122 countries, Griffith's dedication to academic excellence is available across Australia through OUA.
Want to get your healthcare career really moving? Griffith postgraduate Health Services Management degrees are designed and taught by healthcare professionals with experience on the front line of their industry, which is one reason why your Griffith qualifications will be highly regarded by employers — wherever you want to go in the world.
You will develop skills and knowledge in current management theory and practice, develop your leadership skills and style and gain an in-depth understanding of health workforce planning. You will also learn about managing human resources, planning and implementing health programs, and managing performance and health budgets from respected industry practitioners and academics. Additionally, you will develop skills in strategic decision making and change management and an understanding of the role of technology in health management. Through a project directly relevant to your organisation's strategic direction, you will develop research and project management skills.
The program will prepare your for the next step in your career in Australia and overseas, developing improved health systems and services within aged care services, hospitals, primary care, health departments, and other healthcare facilities in the public, private, not-for-profit, government and non-government health sectors.
Roles where you can apply your knowledge and skills include health information, health planning, clinical and practice, project, quality and safety management.
This degree is accredited by the Australasian College of Health Service Management (ACHSM).
Students who complete this degree may be eligible for membership to the Australasian College of Health Service Management (ACHSM).
To be eligible for admission to the Graduate Certificate in Health Services Management, an applicant must hold:
- a bachelor degree in a health-related field (Public Health, Health Services Management, Allied Health, Environmental Health, Dentistry, Medicine, Midwifery, Nursing)
- OR a bachelor degree in an unrelated discipline (that is, a degree in a discipline other than medicine, nursing, public health, environmental health, allied health, psychology clinical health, research or biomedical health)
- OR a health-related diploma PLUS two years relevant work experience in the health or aged care sector
- OR have a minimum of five years equivalent full-time work experience in administration, management and leaderships roles within health care organisations and students would be expected to have career goals to work in health-related organisations.
Progression for students admitted to the Graduate Certificate Health Services Management to the Master of Health Services Management (5586) is dependent on achieving a minimum pass grade in all courses of the Graduate Certificate.
English Proficiency Requirements
English language requirements apply to International applicants and other applicants whose previous study was undertaken in a language other than English. The minimum English language requirements for such applicants for entry to this program are as follows:
- A minimum overall band score of 6.5 on IELTS (Academic) with no sub-score of less than 6.0
- OR a minimum score of 575 on TOEFL
- OR an internet-based (iBT) TOEFL score of 79 (no sub-score less than 19)
- OR no score less than 3+ in each skill of the ISLPR (conducted by ISLPR Language Services only)
- OR a minimum grade of C on the Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English (CAE)
- OR a minimum grade of C on the Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE)
- OR an overall score of 58 in the Pearson Test of English (Academic) with no score less than 50.
English test results must be no more than two years old.
Students who successfully complete the Direct Entry Program (DEP) will satisfy the English Language requirements for this Griffith degree.
Applicants should refer to the English language requirements section of the following University policy for exceptions to these overall requirements:
Griffith University grants credit and recognition of prior learning which may relate to prior formal learning or prior informal and non-formal learning. For more information, please visit the following website:
To be eligible for the award of Graduate Certificate in Policy Analysis (GCertPolicyAnalysis), a student must acquire 40 credit points as prescribed below:
- gain 40 credit points for the prescribed core courses