Bachelor of Communication Design
Develop your own signature design language and brand
Discover the building blocks of design. You’ll cover illustration, typography, digital media, print, design research and more. Recognised by the DIA, this course offers a free Adobe Creative Cloud Pro licence and practical experience.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- No dates available
At Torrens University Australia you can tailor your study to suit your lifestyle. Thanks to their innovative digital learning system you’ll gain the ultimate in flexibility, and still receive personalised guidance from academics and access to work placement, mentorship and internship opportunities. Online you can attend live classes or view recorded sessions, connect with lecturers and fellow students, and access content on-demand 24/7.
Learn more about Torrens.
As one of Australia’s fastest growing universities, we take a progressive approach to learning. Our courses are co-designed, developed and delivered with industry, giving you confidence that you’ll graduate job-ready. During this course you will:
- Explore typography, image generation and information design.
- Explore packaging and branded environment design and learn how products and places can be designed for end user needs.
- Refine strategic thinking and brand development skills.
- Focus on creating messages for a range of audiences.
- Apply theoretical and technical knowledge to real-world problems.
The design work you do throughout your study contributes to your professional portfolio – your passport to a serious design career. With the skills and expertise gained from this course, plus your limitless imagination, you’ll be in demand around the world as a UX, Graphics, Games, packaging, Web or Exhibition Designer, Art Director, or as a Branding, Advertising or Marketing Specialist. Or combine your Bachelor of Communication Design with a business degree and open yourself up to a wider range of career opportunities across both industries. Potential career paths include:
- Design Strategic
- Service Designer
- Art Director
Professional recognitionDIA-recognised course This course is recognised by the Design Institute of Australia, giving you confidence that your education is of the highest industry standard.
Torrens University Australia offers flexible entry options and study pathways, whether you’re finishing school, pursuing career progression or looking for a change. Entry requirements for this course includes:
- Successful completion of a Higher Education qualification.
- Year 12 (Australian secondary school certificate) or equivalent.
- Successful completion of a Vocational qualification (AQF Level 4), or above.
Work and Life
- Work life experience demonstrating the ability to undertake study at the required level.
Standard English language requirements apply.
Visit our admissions centre for more information: https://www.torrens.edu.au/how-to-apply/admissions-criteria
Don’t meet the entry requirements? We have numerous pathway programs to get you started. Contact our Future Student Advisors to learn about alternative entry options.
The course explores the theory and practice of information design, from initial concepts through to sophisticated visuals, from traditional print work to state-of-the-art digital design.
You’ll discover the building blocks of typography and learn about idea generation, digital media, design research, information design and more.
In the Design Studio subject, you’ll collaborate with other students, as you would in a real-world studio, and follow briefs to come up with practical and effective outcomes that are ideal for their audience.
Tailor your study to your lifestyle thanks to our innovative digital learning system, accessible from anywhere with 24/7 personalised support. With all your course materials online, and the option to study full or part time, on-campus, online or a blend of both it's all about flexibility.
Course duration: 3 years full time, 6 years part time, 2 years accelerated.
Available as a double degree with a Bachelor of Business.
Recommended Study Pattern
The course structure comprises of 24 subjects that you are required to complete: 18 core subjects and 6 elective subjects. The course contains 3 subjects level – Level 100, 200 and 300, guiding you from foundational through to more complex subjects.
- Level 100: 7 core subjects and 1 elective subject
- Level 100/200: 1 elective subject can be taken at either Level 100 or 200
- Level 200: 5 core subjects and 2 elective subjects
- Level 200/300: 1 elective subject can be taken at either Level 200 or 300
- Level 300: 6 core subjects and 1 elective subject