Postgraduate Diploma in Energy & Environment (Global Warming & Climate Science) - 2012

This page is for past year, View 2017 course details.

Course summary

Course summary - 2012

Level: Postgraduate
Qualification: Graduate Diploma
Number of units: 6 units to complete

Download a course guide

Why fill out this form?
Required fields

Get advice on this course

Get advice on this course

Why fill out this form?
Required fields

Get advice on this course

Operating Hours

Standard hours

Mon - Fri: 8am - late

Sat & Sun: 9am - 5pm

All times in Australian Eastern
Standard Time (AEST) or Australian Eastern Daylight Time (AEDT)

The Postgraduate Diploma in Energy & Environment (Global Warming & Climate Science) has been designed to provide postgraduate training for Australian and international professionals working (or wishing to work) in the field of environmental management within the energy industry.

The course aims to provide students with an understanding of the policy context of energy systems, the associated environmental impacts, and their assessment and subsequent monitoring. Particular focus is paid to the Greenhouse Gas (GHG) and global warming issues, currently demanding much attention at all levels of society.

There is increasing interest within government and industry to develop approaches that will reduce GHG emissions. It is expected that there will be high demand for personnel with expertise in GHG science and policy by 2013, when the Australian government is planning to introduce an Emission Trading Scheme.

Key potential employers include: government agencies, large companies that will acquire GHG obligations, companies entering or expanding their operations in the carbon trading arena, organisations active in the GHG policy debate and industry organisations seeking to advise members of obligations and potential opportunities.


An undergraduate degree or equivalent from a recognised tertiary institution.  Some of the units have a prerequisite for Upper High School, or introductory university level Physics.  If an applicant does not have this background, then the OUA Unit SCI16 Introduction to Physics can be taken to satisfy this prerequisite.  Such a student will still need to complete the six required units for this Degree.

English Language Proficiency Requirements

International Applicants, and Australian applicants whose first language is not English, must demonstrate competency in the English language.  The minimum English language requirements are: International English Language Testing System (IELTS Academic): with a minimum overall score of 6.0 (no individual band less than 6.0).

To qualify for the Postgraduate Diploma in Energy & Environment (Global Warming & Climate Science) students must complete the 6 core units.

One of the units in the course (EENV513 Atmospheric Science) requires one week of on-campus attendance at Murdoch University in Perth to undertake laboratory work. If numbers in this unit are sufficient it may be possible to conduct this laboratory week at an alternative location.

Total number of units to complete: 6 units Required Elective Optional
Unit name Code Provider Availability
Atmospheric Science
EENV5131 Murdoch SP1 - - -
Energy Policy
EENV591 Murdoch - - SP3 -
Energy in Society
EENV592 Murdoch SP1 - SP3 -
Greenhouse Accounting and Life Cycle Assessment
EENV597 Murdoch - - SP3 -
Earth System Science
EENV630 Murdoch - - SP3 -
Greenhouse Science and Policy
EENV632 Murdoch SP1 - - -

1 This unit has an on-campus requirement

Students with adequate academic backgrounds should seek exemptions from the Chair of Energy Studies at Murdoch University. Applicants with relevant prior learning may be granted credit if they comply with the university’s policy on accreditation. Students should contact Murdoch University for further advice.

You can pay fees in one of two main ways:

Eligible OUA students can access the government loan scheme known as FEE-HELP. You pay back the loan through your taxes once your income reaches a minimum threshold.

Who can access it?

  • Australian citizens who will undertake, in Australia, at least one unit of study contributing to their course
  • Permanent humanitarian visa holders who will be resident in Australia for the duration of their unit
  • Permanent visa holders who are undertaking bridging study for overseas-trained professionals, and will be resident in Australia for the duration of their study

Find out more about FEE-HELP

You can pay your fees upfront - in full at the beginning of a unit - using:
  • Credit card (Visa and MasterCard)
  • Cheque
  • Money order

You should make cheques and money orders payable to 'Open Universities Australia' and send them to:
Open Universities Australia
GPO Box 5387
Melbourne 3001