How to become a biologist
Pathways to this career
- Complete an undergraduate environmental or a degree in science with a major in biology.
- Biology is broad field of study - focus your career by picking a specialisation. Potential areas of interest include cell biology, marine biology, immunology, zoology, biochemistry or molecular biology.
- Further your practical experience with an internship.
- If you wish to work in applied research or teach at a high school level, a postgraduate degree in biology is required.
- If you want to undertake independent research or teach at a university level, then you will need to obtain your PhD in biology.
What does a biologist do?
Duties and tasks
- Investigate the biochemistry, anatomy and physiology of living organisms such as humans, animals and plants and their relationship with the environment.
- Examine the effects of environmental factors on plants.
- Liaise with other industry professional to apply the research results and develop new products or practices.
- Observe the development of micro-organisms and the effects they have on living organisms.
- Plan and conduct experiments and process and analyse results and data.
- Write up scientific reports and present to the scientific community at conferences or via published papers in scientific journals.
- CSIRO Marine and Atmospheric Research
- The Association of Professional Engineers, Scientists and Managers, Australia
Related jobs and job titles
Discover related degrees
Discover related subjects
Step up your career with these resources
Are microcredentials worth it?
You can study a microcredential in just about any industry, from healthcare and education to business and marketing. Here’s why these skills-based short courses are worth your time.
5 qualities that make you a leader vs a manager
While managers dole out tasks, leaders take things a step further by inspiring everyone around them. Discover how you can become this kind of leader, no matter where you work.
How to write a business plan
Thinking about striking out on your own and starting your own company? Here's how to create an effective business plan.