How to become an IT security specialist
What does an IT security specialist do?From passwords to identity management, IT security specialists keep information secure and manage access to networks and systems. They protect organisations, staff, and customers, by maintaining secure IT environments. These valued tech professionals identify online security problems, lock them down, and prevent them from reoccurring.
Duties and tasks
- Test security measures including firewalls and software permissions.
- Identify security risks, suggest improvements, and implement changes.
- Meet with vendors who handle security issues and supplies and install and maintain the necessary software.
- Enforce IT security guidelines, policies, and procedures.
- Consider future networking requirements and make applicable recommendations.
- Handle backups and other maintenance tasks.
Step up your career with these resources
Are microcredentials worth it?
You can study a microcredential in just about any industry, from healthcare and education to business and marketing. Here’s why these skills-based short courses are worth your time.
5 qualities that make you a leader vs a manager
While managers dole out tasks, leaders take things a step further by inspiring everyone around them. Discover how you can become this kind of leader, no matter where you work.
How to write a business plan
Thinking about striking out on your own and starting your own company? Here's how to create an effective business plan.