How to become a policy & planning manager
What does a policy and planning manager do?Policy and planning managers research, plan and direct strategic policy and planning advice for organisations. They should have a superior understanding of organisational needs, relevant legislative materials and long-term plans for the organisation.
Duties and tasks
- Develop strategies for implementing activity and creating accountability.
- Direct and assist in developing policy documents and reports.
- Facilitate negotiations on behalf of the organisation, as well as at events and seminars to discourse about policy issues.
- Implement and oversee policy research and analysis programs.
- Implement policies and practices, assigning employees to associated tasks.
- Serve as a reference and expert in the field on policy, program and legislative matters, working with government officials and stakeholders.
- Work with other Managers and Board Members to outline goals and objectives and develop strategic plans, programs and policies to meet those objectives.
- Australian Institute of Management
- Planning Institute of Australia
- The Financial Planning Association of Australia
- Policy advisor
- Policy analyst
- Political scientist
- Project support officer
- Project and program administrator
- Research officer
- Research and development manager
- University lecturer
Discover related degrees
Discover related subjects
Step up your career with these resources
Is a career in project management right for you?
Do you get a kick out of thinking big and getting things done? You could make a great project manager.
Are microcredentials worth it?
You can study a microcredential in just about any industry, from healthcare and education to business and marketing. Here’s why these skills-based short courses are worth your time.
5 qualities that make you a leader vs a manager
While managers dole out tasks, leaders take things a step further by inspiring everyone around them. Discover how you can become this kind of leader, no matter where you work.
We're here to guide you there
Our student advisors can assist you with enrolment, help you plan your studies, and answer questions about how studying through Open Universities Australia can get you from where you are today, to where you want to be tomorrow.