How to become a library technician
What does a library technician do?
Duties and tasks
- Implement library database and classification systems as well as research applications and train staff on proper usage.
- Input and edit data in computer database systems.
- Manage operational functions of library systems and services.
- Organise and sequence printed and electronic library materials.
- Perform research tasks and authenticate bibliographic data.
- Process audio-visual materials and equipment, convert files and facilitate proper functioning.
- Support librarians with any additional tasks to uphold the overall quality and functioning of the library.
- Audiovisual librarian
- Childrens librarian
- Corporate librarian
- Information manager
- Legal librarian
- Parliamentary librarian
- Reference librarian
Discover related degrees
Discover related subjects
Step up your career with these resources
Upskilling or reskilling now will give you more career options
Thanks to the pandemic, new technologies and calls for social progress, the world of work is changing. How will you stay ahead in your industry?
Edward on how OUA helped progress his career
When he realised the ease of online study, Edward's goals went from squeezing through with a 'pass', to achieving excellent marks.
The checklist to prepare your career for the 2020s
With the turn of the decade, and today's speedy technology advances, here's how employees can approach the next 10 years in the workforce feeling prepared, not panicked.