How to become a library technician
Set up and assist Librarians with proper organisation and database management of library materials.
What does a library technician do?
Duties and tasks
- Implement library database and classification systems as well as research applications and train staff on proper usage.
- Input and edit data in computer database systems.
- Manage operational functions of library systems and services.
- Organise and sequence printed and electronic library materials.
- Perform research tasks and authenticate bibliographic data.
- Process audio-visual materials and equipment, convert files and facilitate proper functioning.
- Support librarians with any additional tasks to uphold the overall quality and functioning of the library.
- Audiovisual librarian
- Childrens librarian
- Corporate librarian
- Information manager
- Legal librarian
- Parliamentary librarian
- Reference librarian
Discover related degrees
- Health Informatics
- Data Analytics
- Information Governance
- Healthcare Leadership
- Supply Chain and Logistics
Discover related subjects
Step up your career with these resources
Is a career in project management right for you?
Do you get a kick out of thinking big and getting things done? You could make a great project manager.
Are microcredentials worth it?
You can study a microcredential in just about any industry, from healthcare and education to business and marketing. Here’s why these skills-based short courses are worth your time.
5 qualities that make you a leader vs a manager
While managers dole out tasks, leaders take things a step further by inspiring everyone around them. Discover how you can become this kind of leader, no matter where you work.