How to become a library technician
What does a library technician do?
Duties and tasks
- Implement library database and classification systems as well as research applications and train staff on proper usage.
- Input and edit data in computer database systems.
- Manage operational functions of library systems and services.
- Organise and sequence printed and electronic library materials.
- Perform research tasks and authenticate bibliographic data.
- Process audio-visual materials and equipment, convert files and facilitate proper functioning.
- Support librarians with any additional tasks to uphold the overall quality and functioning of the library.
- Audiovisual librarian
- Childrens librarian
- Corporate librarian
- Information manager
- Legal librarian
- Parliamentary librarian
- Reference librarian
Discover related degrees
Discover related subjects
Step up your career with these resources
Is a career in project management right for you?
Do you get a kick out of thinking big and getting things done? You could make a great project manager.
Are microcredentials worth it?
You can study a microcredential in just about any industry, from healthcare and education to business and marketing. Here’s why these skills-based short courses are worth your time.
5 qualities that make you a leader vs a manager
While managers dole out tasks, leaders take things a step further by inspiring everyone around them. Discover how you can become this kind of leader, no matter where you work.
We're here to guide you there
Our student advisors can assist you with enrolment, help you plan your studies, and answer questions about how studying through Open Universities Australia can get you from where you are today, to where you want to be tomorrow.