How to become a historian
Delve into the past to research and share your findings on historical events that have contributed to our world today.
Pathways to this career
- Become a historian by completing an arts degree, majoring in history. Seeking professional recognition upon graduation? Consider pursuing an honours year.
- If you've already begun your journey into antiquity, consider a postgraduate degree in history to explore a specific topic or field in more detail.
- Seek out placements and internships. Contact museums, heritage associations and government institutions, and gain unrivalled experience.
- Research any industry associations to stay-up-to date with the latest in your chosen field of expertise.
What does a historian do?
Duties and tasks
- Cobble together disparate sources to formulate a coherent narrative of past events.
- Listen to recordings and transcripts from primary sources.
- Teach classes on history at the school, college, or university level.
- Work as expert consultants for museums and historical fairs.
- Work with historical resources like newspapers, journals and archives to assemble a picture of any given historical event.
- Write scholarly articles for publish in academic journals and present findings at conferences.
- Australian Council of Professional Historians Associations (ACPHA)
- The Professional Historians Association (NSW & ACT)
- The Professional Historians Association (Queensland)
- The Professional Historians Association (SA)
- The Professional Historians Association (Victoria & Tasmania)
- Art historian
- Cultural heritage officer
- Economic historian
- Geographical historian
- Museum curator
- Research officer
Step up your career with these resources
Are microcredentials worth it?
You can study a microcredential in just about any industry, from healthcare and education to business and marketing. Here’s why these skills-based short courses are worth your time.
5 qualities that make you a leader vs a manager
While managers dole out tasks, leaders take things a step further by inspiring everyone around them. Discover how you can become this kind of leader, no matter where you work.
How to write a business plan
Thinking about striking out on your own and starting your own company? Here's how to create an effective business plan.