How to become a veterinarian
Pathways to this career
- Complete an undergraduate degree in veterinary science.
- Progress your knowledge and career by completing a postgraduate degree in veterinary science.
- Register with the Veterinary Surgeons Board or Veterinary Practitioners Registration Board of the state(s) you wish to practice in once completing your studies and graduating.
- Qualified Veterinarians must re-register on an annual basis with these boards in order to practice.
What does a veterinarian do?Veterinarians work with animals. They diagnose animals and work to treat and prevent their diseases. They also patch up animals after injuries and offer advice for preventative care to animals owners.
Duties and tasks
- Advise on preventing the occurrence and spread of diseases among animals.
- Give advice to animal owners on care and treatment and answering questions as needed.
- Inspect animals to determine the cause of disease or injury.
- Perform autopsies on deceased animals.
- Perform surgery or other medical procedures on animals.
- Prescribe medications for animals diseases and administering these medications as needed.
- Set animals broken bones or otherwise attending to injuries.
- Australian Veterinary Association
- Veterinary Board of Tasmania
- Veterinary Board of the Northern Territory
- Veterinary Practitioners Board of New South Wales
- Veterinary Surgeons Board (QLD)
- Veterinary Surgeons Board of South Australia
- Veterinary Surgeons Board of WA
Discover related courses
Step up your career with these resources
What is a mental health nurse and what do they do?
Australia desperately needs more mental health nurses to support people with mental illness. Read on to find out what this interesting nursing specialty is all about.
What is an occupational therapist and what do they do?
Occupational therapists play a crucial role in healthcare. But what exactly do they do, and how can you follow this rewarding career path? Let’s find out.
Dietitian vs nutritionist in Australia: What’s the difference?
Want to help people make healthier food choices? Get to know the nutrition experts who guide us on everything from macros to calories for a living.