How to become a veterinarian
Pathways to this career
- Complete an undergraduate degree in veterinary science.
- Progress your knowledge and career by completing a postgraduate degree in veterinary science.
- Register with the Veterinary Surgeons Board or Veterinary Practitioners Registration Board of the state(s) you wish to practice in once completing your studies and graduating.
- Qualified Veterinarians must re-register on an annual basis with these boards in order to practice.
What does a veterinarian do?Veterinarians work with animals. They diagnose animals and work to treat and prevent their diseases. They also patch up animals after injuries and offer advice for preventative care to animals owners.
Duties and tasks
- Advise on preventing the occurrence and spread of diseases among animals.
- Give advice to animal owners on care and treatment and answering questions as needed.
- Inspect animals to determine the cause of disease or injury.
- Perform autopsies on deceased animals.
- Perform surgery or other medical procedures on animals.
- Prescribe medications for animals diseases and administering these medications as needed.
- Set animals broken bones or otherwise attending to injuries.
- Australian Veterinary Association
- Veterinary Board of Tasmania
- Veterinary Board of the Northern Territory
- Veterinary Practitioners Board of New South Wales
- Veterinary Surgeons Board (QLD)
- Veterinary Surgeons Board of South Australia
- Veterinary Surgeons Board of WA
Discover related courses
Step up your career with these resources
Are microcredentials worth it?
You can study a microcredential in just about any industry, from healthcare and education to business and marketing. Here’s why these skills-based short courses are worth your time.
5 qualities that make you a leader vs a manager
While managers dole out tasks, leaders take things a step further by inspiring everyone around them. Discover how you can become this kind of leader, no matter where you work.
How to write a business plan
Thinking about striking out on your own and starting your own company? Here's how to create an effective business plan.