How to become an air transport professional
In the sky and on the ground, manage the safe and orderly movements of aircraft, passengers, and cargo.
What does an air transport professional do?Air transport professionals include pilots who fly aeroplanes and helicopters, air traffic controllers who manage the safe and orderly flow of aircraft and flight attendants who manage the aircraft while in operation.
Duties and tasks
- Air traffic controllers play an important role in the safety of the aircraft including maintaining communications and monitoring the movement of the aircraft.
- Controllers assist pilots during take-off, landing and throughout the flight. They also provide assistance and guidance in the case of emergencies.
- Flight attendants manage the aircraft while in operation and are involved in serving food, demonstrating safety procedures, assisting with the flight and ground crews.
- Pilots fly aircrafts and follow strict operating policies and procedures to ensure the safety of the crew and passengers.
- Pilots complete pre-flight preparations and checks to ensure the safety of the aircraft.
- Airline pilot
- Flying instructor
- Helicopter pilot
- Military pilot
- Terminal area controller
- Tower controller
Step up your career with these resources
Not sure what to say when negotiating your salary? Follow these tips from career strategist Kelly Magowan next time you need to make your case with an employer.
Do you get a kick out of thinking big and getting things done? You could make a great project manager.
You can study a microcredential in just about any industry, from healthcare and education to business and marketing. Here’s why these skills-based short courses are worth your time.
While managers dole out tasks, leaders take things a step further by inspiring everyone around them. Discover how you can become this kind of leader, no matter where you work.
We're here to guide you there
Our student advisors can assist you with enrolment, help you plan your studies, and answer questions about how studying through Open Universities Australia can get you from where you are today, to where you want to be tomorrow.