Tailors work with patterns and free-hand to cut, sew, design and repair garments especially mens suits and clothing. They must have excellent cutting and sewing technique and be able to provide quality work. Tailors may fulfil individual customer orders or fit customers at retail establishments.
Duties and tasks
- Assemble separate suit pieces by pinning or arranging them together
- Consult with customers to decide on appropriate style, material, additions and quantity
- Fit suits and other mens ware on clients and pin clothes so they properly fit to individuals body and make necessary repairs or alterations
- Give price estimates of orders for customers and process payments
- Iron or steam suits and other clothing for customers to pick-up
- Machine and hand-sew clothing or suit sections and accessories such as buttons, hooks, zippers, etc.
- Make or modify master patterns working with designs, samples and sketches; cut fabric and lining to fit pattern specifications
- Problem Solving Skills
- Strong Attention to Details
- Tailoring and Sewing Expertise
- Time Management
Tailors typically work Mondays to Fridays, but may need to work evenings or weekends in order to finish orders on time. They usually work with sewing machines and other tailoring tools in sewing rooms or retail establishments fitting customers.
Professional associations / Industry information
Related jobs and job titles
- Alteration Tailor
- Clothing Patternmaker
- Costume Maker
- Custom Sewer
- Fashion Designer
- Set Production Worker
- Theatrical Costume Maker and Designer
- Wardrobe Master or Mistress