Languages and Culture
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
QS RANKING 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
Upon completion of this subject, the student should be able to:
- Apply knowledge of the relationship between language and culture to a learning environment
- Critically analyse and evaluate the potential impact of linguistic and cultural differences on learning
- Evaluate the importance of intercultural communication and recommend ways in which it can be facilitated in a learning environment
- Language and Culture
- Linguistic and cultural diversity and learning
- Intercultural communication
You must either have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject, or enrol in the following subject(s) to study at the same time or prior to this subject:
No additional requirements
This subject investigates the links between language and culture, and the importance of considering and analysing the linguistic and cultural differences of learners within any learning and teaching context. In particular, you will explore three main themes. Firstly, you will look at the interdependence of language and culture. Secondly, you will investigate how linguistic and cultural differences can affect how people learn. Thirdly, you will look at the challenges and opportunities presented by intercultural communication in todays globalized world. You will be required to analyse a school based scenario and provide recommendations on how best to facilitate intercultural communication.
- 2000 words essay (100%)
Current study term: 10 Jul 22 to 16 Oct 22
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.