Contexts of Addiction
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
- 22 Feb 2021
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
On completion of this unit, you will be able to:
- Discuss policy and strategy which direct addiction service provision
- Reflect on epidemiological theories in relation to addiction
- Identify effects of psychoactive drugs illicit and licit on the central nervous system (CNS)
- Demonstrate an understanding of principles underlying substance use and withdrawal
- Drug types, effects and investigations to detect
- The brain and addiction
- Classification systems
- Treatment principles and guidelines
- Diverse populations
In order to enrol in this subject, you must be accepted into one of the following degrees:
No special requirements
This subject examines the complex needs of the person requiring Addiction Services. Students will explore epidemiological theories of substance abuse and identify principles of dependence within a range of maladaptive behaviours. In addition, students will extend their knowledge and understanding of treatment approaches, withdrawal management and toxicology.
- Online discussions and written essay combined (50%)
- Individual essay (50%)
Current study term: 21 Feb 21 to 30 May 21)
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.