Bioethics in Professional Life
Your upfront cost: $0
- 25 Jul 2022
QS RANKING 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
On completion of this course students should be able to achieve the following learning outcomes:
- Analyse selected complex ethical issues related to healthcare.
- Critique the ethical principles guiding decision making in healthcare and by the medical profession.
- Apply bioethical concepts and reasoning in exercising professional judgement.
- Formulate practical steps to implement an ethical course of action.
- Foundations of bioethics
- Bioethics in action
- Ethical issues at the beginning of life
- Ethical issues at the end of life
- Ethical issues in delivering healthcare
In order to enrol in this subject, you must be accepted into one of the following degrees:
No additional requirements
Bioethics in Professional Life aims to address selected ethical issues relevant to health care and clinical research. Topics to be covered will include: an introduction to bioethics; constructing an ethics toolbox; the relation between bioethics and law; respecting the dignity of the person in providing health care; ethical issues at the beginning and at the end of life; ethical issues in contemporary medical practice; and ethical analysis of conflicts between respecting individual autonomy and protecting the common good. The ethical issues raised in exploring these topics will be considered, as appropriate, at individual, institutional, societal and global levels.
Assessment of engagement in discussion groups - 10% Individual presentation of opinion or editorial piece - 40% Written opinion of editorial piece - 50%
- Assessment of engagement in discussion groups (10%)
- Individual presentation of opinion or editorial piece (40%)
- Written opinion of editorial piece (50%)
Current study term: 24 Jul 22 to 28 Oct 22
The Ethical Canary: Science, Society and the Human Spirit
Bird on an Ethics Wire: Battles About Values in the Culture Wars
Catholic Bioethics for a New Millennium
Thieves of Virtue: When Bioethics Stole Medicine
The Hippocratic Oath and the Ethics of Medicine
Steven H Miles