Security Analysis and Portfolio Management
Your upfront cost: $0
Online and other materials
Subjects may require attendance
- 28 Jun 2021
The University of New England is the only Australian public university to be awarded the maximum 5 stars for Overall Experience by the Good Universities Guide, 13 years in a row. UNE has delivered distance education since 1955—that’s longer than any other Australian university. Perhaps that’s why students continue to rate UNE so highly for student satisfaction and teaching quality. With over 170 degrees offered online, and more than 20,000 online students, UNE is the expert in online education.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
Upon completion of this subject, students will be able to:
- demonstrate an advanced and integrated knowledge of risk and return profiles of individual financial assets such as equity, bonds, options and futures, and the ability to apply these to investment contexts;
- demonstrate an advanced and integrated knowledge of portfolio analysis, optimisation and performance evaluation, and the ability to apply these to investment contexts;
- demonstrate an expert understanding of the risk and return concept in relation to security analysis and portfolio management, incorporating the principle of diversification, and the ability to apply this to investment contexts;
- use a range of cognitive, communication and research skills to investigate, analyse, synthesise and reflect critically on relevant investment related theories, concepts, and methodologies in undertaking investment analysis and decision-making;
- work independently and/or collaboratively to plan and execute tasks to enhance professional knowledge and skills in the area of investment analysis and decision-making; and
- demonstrate the ability to recognise, reflect on, and respond appropriately to a range of ethical issues influencing investment analysis and decision-making.
- Topics will be available to enrolled students in the subjects Learning Management System site approximately one week prior to the commencement of the teaching period.
Candidature in the Master of Professional Accounting.
- EquipmentDetails - Headphones or speakers (required to listen to lectures and other media) Headset, including microphone (highly recommended) Webcam (may be required for participation in virtual classrooms and/or media presentations).
- SoftwareDetails - It is essential for students to have reliable internet access in order to participate in and complete your units, regardless of whether they contain an on campus attendance or intensive school component. For additional information please visit UNE Hardware Requirements: https://www.une.edu.au/current-students/support/it-services/hardware
- TravelDetails - Travel may be required to attend the Final Examination for this subject.
- OtherDetails -
Textbook information is not available until approximately 8 weeks prior to the commencement of the Teaching period.
Students are expected to purchase prescribed material.
Textbook requirements may vary from one teaching period to the next.
Where calculators are permitted in examinations, it must be selected from an approved list, which can be accessed from the Further Information link below.
This subject develops knowledge in the field of investment analysis. Students examine portfolio theory, the theory of efficient markets and risk management techniques as they relate to the construction of efficient portfolios. Central to the unit is a practical understanding of the trade-off between risk and returns in the development of a portfolio of all financial assets. This subject will equip students to choose between different investments and decide how much total wealth to hold in each investment.
Online Quiz: Relates to Learning Outcomes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Written Assignment: Relates to Learning Outcomes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Final Examination: 2 hrs 15 mins. Students must obtain at least 50% in the examination (and at least 50% overall) to receive a pass (or better) in the subject. Relates to Learning Outcomes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 UNE manages supervised exams associated with your UNE subjects. Prior to census date, UNE releases exam timetables. They’ll email important exam information directly to your UNE email address.
- Short-answer Questions (25%)
- Online Quiz (15%)
- Final Examination (60%)
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.