Calculus and Linear Algebra 1
There are no available classes. Find another subject.
Online and other materials
Subjects may require attendance
- 02 Mar 2020
- 29 Jun 2020
The University of New England is the only Australian public university to be awarded the maximum 5 stars for Overall Experience by the Good Universities Guide, 13 years in a row. UNE has delivered distance education since 1955—that’s longer than any other Australian university. Perhaps that’s why students continue to rate UNE so highly for student satisfaction and teaching quality. With over 170 degrees offered online, and more than 20,000 online students, UNE is the expert in online education.
Times Higher Education Ranking
Upon completion of this subject, students will be able to:
- apply the concept of limit to a range of infinite sequences, and relate this to the concept of continuity in the context of specific functions;
- relate the concept of derivative to variable rates of change in natural processes, identify and apply appropriate techniques of differentiation to a range of functions, locate and classify maxima and minima of functions, and apply all of these to one-variable problems of optimisation;
- relate the concept of definite integral to area, volume and the general accumulation of a quantity prescribed initially in terms of density, compute integrals of functions via elementary anti-differentiation and elementary changes of variable; and
- solve systems of linear equations, and classify the solution sets as being either uniquely determined, underdetermined, or overdetermined.
- Topics will be available to enrolled students in the subjects Learning Management System site approximately one week prior to the commencement of the teaching period.
No eligibility requirements
- EquipmentDetails - Headphones or speakers (required to listen to lectures and other media) Headset, including microphone (highly recommended) Webcam (may be required for participation in virtual classrooms and/or media presentations).
- SoftwareDetails - Please refer students to link for requirements: http://www.une.edu.au/current-students/support/it-services/hardware It is essential for students to have reliable internet access in order to participate in and complete your units, regardless of whether they contain an on campus attendance or intensive school component.
- TravelDetails - Travel may be required to attend the Final Examination for this subject. Travel may be required to attend the Non-Mandatory Intensive School.
- OtherDetails -
Textbook information is not available until approximately 8 weeks prior to the commencement of the Teaching period.
Students are expected to purchase prescribed material.
Textbook requirements may vary from one teaching period to the next.
This subject provides a thorough introduction to Differential and Integral Calculus. With the derivative we learn how to measure variable rates of change in natural processes, to isolate maxima and minima of functions, and to apply these techniques to solve problems of optimisation. With the definite integral we learn how to compute non-standard areas and volumes, understood as special instances of the total distribution of data prescribed by a continuous density.
Students in this subject will also be introduced to the algebra and geometry of linear systems of equations and their solutions. Together with Calculus, Linear Algebra provides the second essential tool of mathematical modelling.
Topics covered include a review of elementary functions and their inverses; limits and continuity of functions; derivatives, basic techniques of differentiation, and applications; the definite integral, basic techniques of integration, and applications; and vectors, subspaces, and linear mappings using two, three, or more space-coordinates; methods for solving linear systems of equations; linear independence of vectors.
Assessment 1 to Assessment 9: Notes - Mathematical calculations and problem solving assignment. Relates to Learning Outcomes 1, 2, 3, 4. Final Examination: 2 hrs 15 mins. Notes - It is mandatory to pass this examination in order to pass this unit. To obtain a distinction in this unit, a student must obtain a distinction in the examination. Relates to Learning Outcomes 1, 2, 3, 4. UNE manages supervised exams associated with your UNE subjects. Prior to census date, UNE releases exam timetables. They’ll email important exam information directly to your UNE email address.
- Assessment 1 (4%)
- Assessment 2 (4%)
- Assessment 3 (4%)
- Assessment 4 (4%)
- Assessment 5 (4%)
- Assessment 6 (4%)
- Assessment 7 (4%)
- Assessment 8 (4%)
- Assessment 9 (4%)
- Final Examination (60%)
Textbook information is pending.
Textbook information is pending.