French Through Contemporary Culture
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
Online & on-campus
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
Upon completion of this subject, students will be able to:
- critically examine and comprehend literary texts and other cultural production in French;
- provide basic analysis and commentary on the texts studied;
- demonstrate further understanding of, and effectively employ, French vocabulary and structures found in, or appropriate to, a variety of text-types, media and cultural contexts, at an intermediate level; and
- apply extended knowledge of French and Francophone cultures and societies within the context of the texts and authors studied.
- Topics will be available to enrolled students in the subjects Learning Management System site approximately one week prior to the commencement of the teaching period.
You must either have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject, or currently be enrolled in the following subject(s) in a prior study period; or enrol in the following subject(s) to study prior to this subject:
Please note that your enrolment in this subject is conditional on successful completion of these prerequisite subject(s). If you study the prerequisite subject(s) in the study period immediately prior to studying this subject, your result for the prerequisite subject(s) will not be finalised prior to the close of enrolment. In this situation, should you not complete your prerequisite subject(s) successfully you should not continue with your enrolment in this subject. If you are currently enrolled in the prerequisite subject(s) and believe you may not complete these all successfully, it is your responsibility to reschedule your study of this subject to give you time to re-attempt the prerequisite subject(s)
Candidature in the Diploma in Modern Languages To enrol in this subject you will need to pass the Prerequisite/s. Please note as UNE results are released after the close of enrolment date, your enrolment into this subject will be withdrawn if you do not pass the prerequisite subject/s.
- Equipment requirements - Headphones or speakers (required to listen to lectures and other media) Headset, including microphone (highly recommended) Webcam (may be required for participation in virtual classrooms and/or media presentations).
- Software requirements - It is essential for students to have reliable internet access in order to participate in and complete your units, regardless of whether they contain an on campus attendance or intensive school component. For additional information please visit UNE Hardware Requirements: https://www.une.edu.au/current-students/support/it-services/hardware
- Other requirements -
Textbook information is not available until approximately 8 weeks prior to the commencement of the Teaching period.
Students are expected to purchase prescribed material.
Textbook requirements may vary from one teaching period to the next.
This subject extends students' capacity to understand and manipulate the French language through the study of contemporary French and/or Francophone texts in a variety of media and cultural contexts.
Assessment 1 Short written text in French on cultural source/s: 700 words (equivalent). Relates to Learning Outcomes 1-3 Assessment 2 Short essay in English or French: 1000 words (equivalent). Relates to Learning Outcomes 1-4 Assessment 3 Oral presentation in French: 750 words (equivalent). Relates to Learning Outcomes 1-4 Assessment 4 Online Participation: 400 words (equivalent). Relates to Learning Outcomes 1-3 Assessment 5 Take Home Exam: 2000 words. Relates to Learning Outcomes 1-4
- Short written text in French on cultural source/s (10%)
- Short essay in English or French (20%)
- Take Home Exam - 2 hrs 30 mins (50%)
- Oral presentation in French (15%)
- Structured online participation (5%)
Diploma in Modern Languages
- Chinese Language Major
- French Language Major
- German Language Major
- Indonesian Language Major
- Italian Language Major
- Japanese Language Major