Financial Statement Analysis
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
Online and other materials
Subjects may require attendance
- 29 Jun 2020
The University of New England is the only Australian public university to be awarded the maximum 5 stars for Overall Experience by the Good Universities Guide, 13 years in a row. UNE has delivered distance education since 1955—that’s longer than any other Australian university. Perhaps that’s why students continue to rate UNE so highly for student satisfaction and teaching quality. With over 170 degrees offered online, and more than 20,000 online students, UNE is the expert in online education.
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
Upon completion of this subject, students will be able to:
- demonstrate an advanced and integrated understanding of accounting and finance theories and practices to complete the in-depth analysis of companies' financial reports;
- demonstrate an expert understanding of the processes involved in assessing corporate strategy;
- conduct a rigorous analysis of an ASX-listed company as a prospective investment through assessment of its financial and other relevant information in the global and domestic macroeconomic context;
- use a range of cognitive, communication and research skills to investigate, analyse, synthesise and reflect critically on relevant theories, concepts, methodologies, and professional decisions; and
- work independently and/or collaboratively to plan and execute tasks to enhance professional knowledge and skills.
- Topics will be available to enrolled students in the subjects Learning Management System site approximately one week prior to the commencement of the teaching period.
In order to enrol in this subject, you must be accepted into one of the following degrees:
- EquipmentDetails - Headphones or speakers (required to listen to lectures and other media) Headset, including microphone (highly recommended) Webcam (may be required for participation in virtual classrooms and/or media presentations).
- SoftwareDetails - It is essential for students to have reliable internet access in order to participate in and complete your units, regardless of whether they contain an on campus attendance or intensive school component. For additional information please visit UNE Hardware Requirements: https://www.une.edu.au/current-students/support/it-services/hardware
- TravelDetails - Travel may be required to attend the Final Examination for this subject.
- OtherDetails -
Textbook information is not available until approximately 8 weeks prior to the commencement of the Teaching period.
Students are expected to purchase prescribed material.
Textbook requirements may vary from one teaching period to the next.
Where calculators are permitted in examinations, it must be selected from an approved list, which can be accessed from the Further Information link below.
This subject provides students with a working knowledge of financial statement analysis carried out by fund managers, stock brokers and debt market analysts. Topics include evaluating strategy, ratio analysis, credit analysis, mergers and acquisitions. Topics in this unit prepare students to identify which companies should, and should not, be included in a portfolio.
Written Tasks: 15%; LOs 1-4 Written Tasks: 15%; LOs 1-4 Quiz: 10%; LOs 1, 2, 4 Final Examination: 60%; LOs 1-5. Students must obtain at least 50% in the examination (and at least 50% overall) to receive a pass (or better) in the unit. UNE manages supervised exams associated with your UNE subjects. Prior to census date, UNE releases exam timetables. They’ll email important exam information directly to your UNE email address.
- Written Tasks (15%%)
- Written Tasks (15%%)
- Quiz (10%%)
- Final Examination (60%%)
Financial Reporting and Analysis: Using Financial Accounting Information