Accounting Information Systems
Your upfront cost: $0
Online & on-campus
Subjects may require attendance
- 27 Jun 2022
QS RANKING 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
Upon completion of this subject, students will be able to:
- demonstrate an advanced and integrated knowledge of using an accounting package, spreadsheet manipulation skills, and the relationship of accounting information systems to the organisation's business processes;
- demonstrate an advanced knowledge of databases, use a basic database package and explore the implications of big data or its use in the organisation's information system;
- demonstrate an expert knowledge of the importance of the internal control processes for accounting information systems;
- demonstrate an advanced and integrated understanding of the impact of cloud computing on accounting information systems;
- use a range of cognitive, communication and research skills to investigate, analyse, synthesise and reflect critically on relevant theories, concepts, methodologies and professional decisions relevant to accounting information systems; and
- work independently and/or collaboratively to plan and execute tasks to enhance professional knowledge and skills with regard to accounting information systems.
- Topics will be available to enrolled students in the subjects Learning Management System site approximately one week prior to the commencement of the teaching period.
You must either have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject, or currently be enrolled in the following subject(s) in a prior study period; or enrol in the following subject(s) to study prior to this subject:
Please note that your enrolment in this subject is conditional on successful completion of these prerequisite subject(s). If you study the prerequisite subject(s) in the study period immediately prior to studying this subject, your result for the prerequisite subject(s) will not be finalised prior to the close of enrolment. In this situation, should you not complete your prerequisite subject(s) successfully you should not continue with your enrolment in this subject. If you are currently enrolled in the prerequisite subject(s) and believe you may not complete these all successfully, it is your responsibility to reschedule your study of this subject to give you time to re-attempt the prerequisite subject(s)
Candidature in the Graduate Certificate in Accounting or the Master of Professional Accounting. To enrol in this subject you will need to pass the Prerequisite/s. Please note as UNE results are released after the close of enrolment date, your enrolment into this subject will be withdrawn if you do not pass the prerequisite subject/s.
- Equipment requirements - Headphones or speakers (required to listen to lectures and other media) Headset, including microphone (highly recommended) Webcam (may be required for participation in virtual classrooms and/or media presentations).
- Software requirements - It is essential for students to have reliable internet access in order to participate in and complete your units, regardless of whether they contain an on campus attendance or intensive school component. For additional information please visit UNE Hardware Requirements: https://www.une.edu.au/current-students/support/it-services/hardware
- Travel requirements - Travel may be required to attend the Final Examination for this subject.
- Other requirements -
Textbook information is not available until approximately 8 weeks prior to the commencement of the Teaching period.
Students are expected to purchase prescribed material.
Textbook requirements may vary from one teaching period to the next.
Modern accounting information systems allow organisations to make timely decisions based on reliable data and evidence. To future proof your career, you need the up-to-date skills and knowledge to apply this technology in your role. Studying this subject will equip you with the skills to effectively use software to produce information critical to business success. You will gain practical experience using an accounting software package to generate financial statements. You will hone your spreadsheet skills to build models to meet managers’ needs and enhance your database management skills to successfully handle large volumes of data. With a focus on internal control systems and the impact of cloud computing, you will analyse the interactions between technology and accounting systems.
Online Quiz 1: 1500 words. Relates to Learning Outcomes 1, 4, 5, 6 Online Quiz 2: 500 words. Relates to Learning Outcomes 1, 5, 6 Online Quiz 3: 500 words. Relates to Learning Outcomes 2, 5, 6 Written Assignment: 2500 words. Relates to Learning Outcomes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Final Examination: 2 hrs 15 mins. Students must obtain at least 50% in pass the Exam and 50% overall in all assessment tasks to pass the subject. Relates to Learning Outcomes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 UNE manages supervised exams associated with your UNE subjects. Prior to census date, UNE releases exam timetables. They’ll email important exam information directly to your UNE email address.
- Written Assignment (15%)
- Online Quiz 1 (15%)
- Online Quiz 2 (5%)
- Final Examination (60%)
- Online Quiz 3 (5%)
Current study term: 26 Jun 22 to 23 Sep 22
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.