Warning! This subjects requires on campus attendance. Refer to Special Requirements for more information.
Grasp the principles and methods of emerging gene technology. Study the structure and function of macromolecules. Examine gene cloning and expression systems. Learn how technology is used to change the genetic makeup of cells to diagnose and treat disease.
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
Online & on-campus
QS RANKING 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- Understand the fundamentals of many of the emerging techniques;
- Understand applications of molecular and genetic technologies;
- Understand how these can be applied in medicine, agriculture, diagnostics and environmental technologies.
- Basic molecular cloning technologies
- Regulation of gene expression in eukaryotes
- Genome editing
- Next generation of genome sequencing DNA sequencing technologies
- Introduction to bioinformatics
- Forensic application of molecular biology
- recombinant vaccines
This subject assumes a level of knowledge in genetics, cell biology and biochemistry equivalent to at least the completion of a second year tertiary subject.
- Attendance requirements - Practical - minimum five days campus attendance required
*More details will be provided at the commencement of the relevant Study Period and available on Canvas.
1. Online quiz (MCQ): 15% This assessment support CLOs 1, 3 & 6 2. Practical component (20%) This assessment supports CLOs 2, 4& 6 3. Formative assessment 1: 30% This assessment supports CLOs 1, 3, 4& 6 4. Formative assessment 2: 35% This assessment supports CLOs 1, 3, 5 & 6
- Formative assessment 2 (35%)
- Prac Reports (Required F2F, Bundoora Prac Class) (20%)
- Online quizzes (15%)
- Formative assessment 1 (30%)
Current study term: 29 May 22 to 28 Aug 22
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.