Warning! This subjects requires on campus attendance. Refer to Special Requirements for more information.
Grasp the principles and methods of emerging gene technology. Study the structure and function of macromolecules. Examine gene cloning and expression systems. Learn how technology is used to change the genetic makeup of cells to diagnose and treat disease.
Your upfront cost: $0
Online and other materials
Subjects may require attendance
- 27 May 2019
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- Understand the fundamentals of many of the emerging techniques;
- Understand applications of molecular and genetic technologies;
- Understand how these can be applied in medicine, agriculture, diagnostics and environmental technologies.
- Basic molecular cloning technologies
- Regulation of gene expression in eukaryotes
- Genome editing
- Next generation of genome sequencing DNA sequencing technologies
- Introduction to bioinformatics
- Forensic application of molecular biology
- recombinant vaccines
This subject assumes a level of knowledge in genetics, cell biology and biochemistry equivalent to at least the completion of a second year tertiary subject.
- AttendanceDetails - Practical - minimum five days campus attendance required
2019, Study Period 2:
- Jun 24 - 28, 2019 9:00am - 5:00pm
*More details will be provided at the commencement of the relevant Study Period and available on Blackboard.
- practical report (20%)
- quizzes, problems assignments (30%)
- Invigilated Exam (50%)
Textbook information is pending.