Warning! This subjects requires on campus attendance. Refer to Special Requirements for more information.
- Basic ecological principles - ecosystem level; energy flow; productivity; nutrient cycling; community structure; comparing communities
- Basic ecological principles - population level; population sizes and distributions; survey design; population dynamics; management of reserves
- Habitat ecology; sampling techniques for plants and animals in freshwater; marine and terrestrial habitats; environmental quality
- Environment management techniques and problems; control of vegetation; fire ecology; design of reserves; revegetation; pest control; land planning
You cannot enrol in this unit if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
You are recommended to have completed the following subjects(s) or have equivalent knowledge before starting this unit:
- RMI-SCB301-Animal Diversity
- RMI-SCB120-Plant Structure and Function
- RMI-SCB130-Animal Structure and Function
- AttendanceDetails - Practicals - 5 full-day mandatory on-campus practicals in Melbourne.
Please note: this subject is currently not accepting enrolments in Study Period 4, 2018.
This subject covers ecological sampling and ecology, including practical skills in ecological sampling techniques and their application to the study of ecological systems and environmental pollution. This subject trains students in the utilisation of ecological sampling techniques in the field to solve applied ecological problems and in preparing critical scientific reports.
Please note the dates below for the compulsory requirements for this subject to attend laboratory classes at RMIT University's Bundoora Campus:
Study Period 3:
- Oct 22 - 26, 2018 9:30 AM - 4:00 PM*
*More details will be provided at the commencement of the relevant Study Period and available on Blackboard.
- Assignments (60%)
- Invigilated Exam (40%)