Dig into data principles. Explore the use and application of database systems. Learn how to design and apply software solutions to meet requirements and specifications. Assess and compare software assets and IT systems for organisational and user fit.
Your upfront cost: $0
Subjects may require attendance
- 29 Nov 2021
Australia's largest dual-sector institute, offering both TAFE and higher education, RMIT University proudly delivers work-related education and practical research relevant to current business and community needs. More than 60,000 students study with RMIT, and many of their degrees are available through Open Universities Australia.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
Upon successful completion of this course you should be able to:
- Describe various data modelling and database system technologies.
- Explain the main concepts for data modelling and characteristics of database systems.
- Identify issues with and compare, justify relational database design using the functional dependency concepts.
- Apply SQL as a programming language to define database schemas and update database contents.
- Apply SQL as programming language to extract data from databases for specific users’ information needs
- Design a database schema using conceptual modeling mechanisms such as entity-relationship diagrams.
- Introduction to databases
- Basic relational modelling
- Basic entity-relationship modelling
- Basic SQL programming
- Advanced Relational Modelling
- Relational database design
- Advanced ER modelling
- Advanced SQL programming
You are recommended to have completed the following subjects(s) or have equivalent knowledge before starting this subject:
It is assumed that you have basic computer literacy.
- Other requirements - Stable broadband connection required to access online learning materials and live chat sessions/recordings. (note: mobile broadband users may have difficulties participating in live chat sessions) Unrestricted broadband access to enable using SQLDeveloper via the RMIT MyDesktop service is generally expected.
Databases and the database technology are having a major impact on the growing use of computers. They play a critical role in almost all areas where computers are used.
This course is an introduction to the principles, use, and applications of database systems. It assumes no previous knowledge of databases or database technologies. This course focuses on developing skills in designing databases for efficient data management and SQL programming for querying and using databases for various database applications.
- Assignment 1 (20%)
- Invigilated Exam (50%)
- Assignment 2 (30%)
Current study term: 28 Nov 21 to 27 Feb 22
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.