Warning! This subjects requires on campus attendance. Refer to Special Requirements for more information.
- Chemical equilibria
- Acid-base equilibria
- Periodic trends of the elements
- Transition metal chemistry
- Functional group chemistry of unsaturated hydrocarbons and carbonyl compounds; addition and condensation polymerisation
- Nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy
- Phase equilibria
- Solution chemistry
- Chemical kinetics
- Chemistry laboratory
You are recommended to have completed the following subjects(s) or have equivalent knowledge before starting this unit:
- RMI-SCC100-Chemistry of Materials 1
- MUR-SCI18-Fundamentals of Chemistry
- RMI-SCB100-Scientific Skills and Communication
Students should have completed the OUA subject SCC100 or be taking it concurrently.
- AttendanceDetails - Includes two days of mandatory laboratory exercises at RMIT University, Melbourne
This subject is designed for students who have completed Year 12 chemistry or the OUA subject SCI18 Introduction to Chemistry; as well, students should have also completed Chemistry of Materials 1, or be taking it concurrently. Students will study: acid-base equilibria; periodic trends of the elements; transition metals; alkenes and alkynes; aromatics; chemistry of carbonyl compounds: aldehydes and ketones, carboxylic acids and acid derivatives; addition and condensation polymerisation; phase equilibria and solution chemistry; conductance and kinetics.
Please note the dates below for the compulsory requirements for this subject to attend laboratory classes at RMIT University's City Campus in central Melbourne:
Study Period 2:
- July 11 - 12, 2018 - All Day*
Study Period 3:
- October 17-18, 2018 - All Day*
Please note: In order to pass, students must achieve a mark of at least 40% in the final written exam.
*More details will be provided at the commencement of the relevant Study Period and available on Blackboard.
- Assignment 1 - Invigilated Exam (60%)
- Assignment 2 - Online tests (24%)
- Assignment 3 - Laboratory Reports (16%)