Warning! This subjects requires on campus attendance. Refer to Special Requirements for more information.
- Atomic structure and bonding
- Periodicity of atomic properties
- Molecular orbital theory and valence bond theory
- Organic functional group chemistry
- Isomerism and stereochemistry
- Chemical equilibria
- Chemistry laboratory
You are recommended to have completed the following subjects(s) or have equivalent knowledge before starting this unit:
If you have not completed Year 12 chemistry then SCI18 is recommended.
- AttendanceDetails - Includes two days of mandatory laboratory exercises at RMIT Melbourne.
This subject introduces the fundamental principles of university-level chemistry, and is designed for students who have completed Year 12 chemistry or the OUA subject SCI18 Introduction to Chemistry. Students will study chemical bonding and learn how it influences the structure, shape and properties of molecules. The chemistry of alkanes, alkyl halides, alcohols, ethers and amines will be studied. Finally, chemical equilibria, electrochemistry and energy changes in chemical systems will be covered in theory.
Please note the dates below for the compulsory requirements for this subject to attend laboratory classes at RMIT University's City Campus in central Melbourne:
Study Period 2:
- July 9 - 10, 2018 - All Day*
Study Period 3:
- Oct 15 - 16, 2018 - All Day*
Please Note: In order to pass, students must achieve a mark of at least 40% in the final written exam.
*More details will be provided at the commencement of the relevant Study Period and available on Blackboard.
- Assignment 1 - Online tests (24%)
- Assignment 2 - (60%)
- Assignment 3 - Laboratory Reports (16%)