Warning! This subjects requires on campus attendance. Refer to Special Requirements for more information.
Chemistry of Materials 1
Find the relationship between chemistry and energy. Explain how chemical bonding behaviour influences the structure, size and properties of molecules. Describe chemical interactions with heat and electricity. Identify the state of chemical equilibrium
Your upfront cost: $0
Subjects may require attendance
- 01 Jun 2020
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- describe the bonding within inorganic and organic compounds, and explain how the nature of the bonding determines the shape and the properties of the molecule;
- apply Molecular Orbital Theory to simple molecules;
- understand the relationship between the structure of a molecule and its reactivity;
- describe the reactions of organic functional groups including alkyl halides, alcohols, ethers and amines;
- describe the three-dimensional nature of organic molecules, and show how their stereochemistry influences their binding to receptors and enzymes;
- articulate the fundamental principles of chemical equilibria;
- describe the thermodynamic relationships in simple systems;
- demonstrate an understanding of electrochemistry;
- undertake university-level chemistry experiments in a scientific and safe fashion.
- Atomic structure and bonding
- Periodicity of atomic properties
- Molecular orbital theory and valence bond theory
- Organic functional group chemistry
- Isomerism and stereochemistry
- Chemical equilibria
- Chemistry laboratory
You are recommended to have completed the following subjects(s) or have equivalent knowledge before starting this subject:
If you have not completed Year 12 chemistry then SCI18 is recommended.
- AttendanceDetails - Includes two days of mandatory laboratory exercises at RMIT Melbourne.
This subject introduces the fundamental principles of university-level chemistry, and is designed for students who have completed Year 12 chemistry or the OUA subject SCI18 Introduction to Chemistry. Students will study chemical bonding and learn how it influences the structure, shape and properties of molecules. The chemistry of alkanes, alkyl halides, alcohols, ethers and amines will be studied. Finally, chemical equilibria, electrochemistry and energy changes in chemical systems will be covered in theory.
Please Note: In order to pass, students must achieve a mark of at least 40% in the final written exam.
- Online tests (24%)
- Invigilated Exam (60%)
- Laboratory Reports (16%)
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.