Warning! This subjects requires on campus attendance. Refer to Special Requirements for more information.
Animal Structure and Function
Get to know the structure and function of animals with a focus on mammals and people. Chart the reproduction cycle of major vertebrate groups. Compare anatomy of mammals with other animals from excretion to endocrine systems. Learn to examine tissue.
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
Online & on-campus
Subjects may require attendance
QS RANKING 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- use standard histological methods to prepare tissue sections for microscopic examination;
- explain the structure and function of the major organ systems in mammals (nerve, kidney, circulation functions, etc);
- identify many animal specimens to phylum, order or lower levels of classification;
- understand much of the terminology used to describe animal structure in widely divergent animal groups;
- dissect, examine and remove organs in a wide variety of animal organisms;
- identify organs and determine function of organs in a wide variety of animal organisms.
- Tissues and organs/Anatomical nomenclature
- Kidneys & water balance
- Immune system
- Locomotion / Muscle
- The nervous system
- The endocrine organs
- Sex & reproduction
- Hormones & reproduction
You are recommended to have completed the following subjects(s) or have equivalent knowledge before starting this subject:
- Attendance requirements - Includes three days of mandatory laboratory exercises at RMIT University, Melbourne Mandatory lab practicals are scheduled to run for this subject at the RMIT City Campus (Melbourne, Australia) as follows: • Nov 2-4 , 2022 - All Day*
This subject is an introduction to animal structure and function. It provides an overview of the structure, function and reproduction of the vertebrates, with emphasis on humans. Topics include: the physiology of muscles; nerves; digestion; respiration; excretion; circulation; reproduction; and endocrine systems. A brief overview of methods for histological preparation of tissues for microscopic examination will be provided. Practical components include understanding cells and tissues and vertebrate dissections (fish, amphibians, birds and mammals). Physiology computer simulations are undertaken in students own time with an open book/fixed time examination during the practical week.
A pass mark in the final exam is not a hurdle. Attendance at the practicals is the hurdle.
- Lecture Test (20%)
- Invigilated exam (40%)
- Laboratory practicals (24%)
- PhysioEx Computer simulation (16%)
Current study term: 28 Aug 22 to 27 Nov 22
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.