Fuel your knowledge about small to medium energy conversion and supply systems in Australia. Describe design and sizing approach. Survey a range of energy systems from hybrid, micro hydro and photovoltaic, wind power and solar thermal to co-generation.
Your upfront cost: $0
Subjects may require attendance
- 25 Aug 2019
This research-based university in Perth has a strong interdisciplinary focus and a reputation for outstanding teaching and ground-breaking research. With more than 22,000 students and 2,000 staff from over 90 countries, and campuses in Dubai and Singapore, Murdoch embraces free thinking, shared ideas and knowledge to make a difference, and Open Universities Australia is certainly part of that.
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- demonstrate an understanding of the operation of the main energy systems covered in the subject by: drawing a block diagram showing the layout of the components in the system; indicating on such diagrams, the power flows that occur within such systems; describing the role of the various components in these systems
- describe the approaches used in designing and sizing these systems
- undertake simple design and sizing tasks for a number of the systems covered.
- Introduction to energy systems
- The interconnected electricity grid
- The interconnected electricity grid - environmental issues/renewables - issues in connecting to the grid
- Remote Area Power Supply (RAPS) systems
- Engine based RAPS systems
- Fuel cells
- Electrical Energy Storage
- Design of PV Systems - Sizing Methods
- Design of Wind Power Systems/Wind Farms and Wind Penetration
- Water Pumping - Wind and Solar/Other Energy Sources - Microhydro
- Solar Thermal Systems
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Embedded Multimedia
- Online assignment submission
- Standard Media
- Web links
- Audio-Video streaming
- Online Assessment
- Printable format materials
- Resources and Links
You are recommended to have completed the following subjects(s) or have equivalent knowledge before starting this subject:
Knowledge of high school physics is required.
No special requirements
An introduction to the design and operation of energy conversion and supply systems. The focus is on the principal small to medium scale energy systems currently in use in Australia. Key areas covered include engine-based RAPS systems, hybrid systems, photovoltaic systems, wind power systems and solar thermal systems. Co-generation systems, fuel cells and microhydro systems are also considered.
- Invigilated Exam (40%)
- Online Quiz (24%)
- Assignments (36%)
Textbook information is pending.