Immerse yourself in a simulated mission and experience teamwork behind the scenes of a crisis. Choose your intelligence professional role—from cyber terrorism analyst to criminologist and more. Put the theory you’ve learnt during your studies into practice.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 27 Jul 2020
This research-intensive university in north-western Sydney offers a range of undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. With over 30,000 current students, Macquarie has a strong reputation for welcoming international students and embracing flexible and convenient study options, including its partnership with Open Universities Australia.
At the completion of this subject students will be able to;
- Understand the strengths and weaknesses of simulation & role playing as an educational and professional tool.
- Understand decision-making, bargaining situations and group dynamics in a political-strategic context.
- Apply advanced disciplinary knowledge to complex and evolving real-world situations.
- Communicate disciplinary knowledge to professional audiences through the relevant sections of the briefing papers.
- A week-by-week guide to the topics in this subject will be provided in the study materials..
You cannot enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
- MAQ-PICX950-Strategic Simulation
Admission to MPICT or GradDipPICT or MPICTMIntSecSt or MIntSecStud or GradDipIntSecStud and 40cp from PICX units at 8000 level or above including PICX850 or PICX812
- OtherDetails -
- Broadband access
- The second half of the unit when students are doing the simulation/wargame, will be delivered in an intensive mode, students are required to have an intensive level of involvement for 2 weeks.
Students who have an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion under Macquarie University's Academic Progression Policy are not permitted to enrol in OUA units offered by Macquarie University. Students with an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion who have enrolled in units through OUA will be withdrawn.
The subject was formerly known as PICX950 Strategic Simulation
This subject provides students with an opportunity to apply the knowledge they have gain throughout their program of study to a real world crisis. By participating in a dynamic simulation, students will be required to solve problems and find solutions to real world challenges. Students will be assigned to an executive team that includes students with different skill sets and knowledge. These executive teams may include strategists, intelligence analysts, criminologists, counter terrorism experts, and cyber security analysts. Depending on their specialization, students will take one of these roles. Their mission will be to formulate solutions by employing the academic, research and analytical skills they acquired throughout their program. The student will be required to make policy recommendations based on his assessment of the situation.
- Quiz (10%%)
- Simulation Week 4 and Week 7 (10%%)
- Ministerial Brief/Memo (45%%)
- Simulation (35%%)
Textbook information is pending.