Simulation in Security and Strategy
Your upfront cost: $0
- 24 Jul 2023
This research-intensive university in north-western Sydney offers a range of undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. With over 44,000 current students, Macquarie has a strong reputation for welcoming international students and embracing flexible and convenient study options, including its partnership with Open Universities Australia.
Learn more about Macquarie.
Explore Macquarie courses.
QS Ranking 2023
Times Higher Education Ranking 2023
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
On successful completion of this subject, you will be able to;
- Demonstrate understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of simulation & role playing as an educational and professional tool
- Demonstrate understanding of decision-making, bargaining situations and group dynamics in a political-strategic context.
- Apply classical and modern strategic analysis to complex and evolving real-world situations.
- Communicate disciplinary knowledge to professional audiences.
- .A week-by-week guide to the topics in this subject will be provided in the study materials.
You should not enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
- MAQ-PICX8955-Simulation in Counter Terrorism
- MAQ-PICX8964-Decision Making, Scenario Planning and Simulation in Cyber Security
- MAQ-PICX8952-Simulation in Criminology
- MAQ-PICX8953-Simulation in Intelligence
- MAQ-PICX951-Simulation in Security and Strategy (No longer available)
You must either have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject, or enrol in the following subject(s) to study at the same time or prior to this subject:
Co-requisite 60cp at 8000 level or above including (PICX8012 or PICX812) and (PICX8050 or PICX850) and (PICX8060 or PICX860) and (PICX8061 or PICX861) and (PICX8921 or PICX921) NCCW (pre-2020 units) PICT950, PICT951, PICT952, PICT953, PICT954, PICT955, PICX950, PICX951, PICX952, PICX953, PICX954, PICX955 Pre-requisite Admission to MSecStrategicStud NCCW (2020 and onwards) PICT8950 Strategic Simulation and PICT8951 Simulation in Security and Strategy and PICT8952 Simulation in Criminology and PICT8953 Simulation in Intelligence and PICT8954 Simulation in Cyber Security and PICT8955 Simulation in Counter Terrorism
- Other requirements -
- Broadband access
Students who have an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion under Macquarie University's Academic Progression Policy are not permitted to enrol in OUA units offered by Macquarie University. Students with an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion who have enrolled in units through OUA will be withdrawn.
This subject was formerly known as PICX951 Simulation in Security and Strategy
This unit provides students with an opportunity to apply the knowledge acquired during their program of study to a real world crisis. After being exposed to theoretical concepts of scenario-building, role-playing and decision-making, students will experience the challenges of solving problems and finding solutions to real world crises during a dynamic simulation. They will be part of a team that includes students with different skill sets and knowledge, including strategists, intelligence analysts, criminologists, counter terrorism experts, and cyber security analysts. Students enrolled in Simulation in Security and Strategy will perform the role of the strategist. Their mission will be to formulate policy-oriented solutions by applying their theoretical knowledge and practical skills, for instance game theory. As part of a team, students will learn how to develop ministerial briefing papers during a crisis situation and how to make policy recommendations.
- Two quizzes (20%)
- Two small simulations (20%)
- Ministerial Brief/Memo (30%)
- Main simulation (30%)
For textbook details check your university's handbook, website or learning management system (LMS).