Short Form Writing - Short Story, Novella, Poetry Cycle
This research-intensive university in north-western Sydney offers a range of undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. With over 30,000 current students, Macquarie has a strong reputation for welcoming international students and embracing flexible and convenient study options, including its partnership with Open Universities Australia.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
On successful completion of this unit, you will be able to
- Evidence close reading skills in the reading of creative writing texts.
- Plan, write, edit and rewrite short-form creative works.
- Apply technical creative writing terms, vocabulary and narrative studies concepts in the analysis of texts.
- Analyse and appraise the work of others in writing communities utilizing interpersonal skills and creative writing terms, vocabulary and narrative studies concepts.
- Assess and evaluate contemporary Australian and international creative writing in print and digital modes.
- A week-by-week guide to the topics you will explore in this subject will be provided in your study materials.
Admission to Master of Creative Writing
No additional requirements
This unit focuses on the short-form creative writing in its evolving forms, including micro narratives and the short story , poetry cycles, the short story sequence and novella. In addition to the weekly writing workshops, students read Australian and international short-form writing, and narrative studies texts that investigate questions of form and the relationship of the reader to the text. Students develop a critical awareness of the broader national and international contexts in which short-form writing is to published. At the conclusion of the unit, students will have produced a range of short-form creative works and a book plan.
- Online quizzes (10%%)
- Analysis reprt or book proposal (30%%)
- Creative work (40%%)
- Workshop (20%%)