Postgraduate | MAQ-ECHX6030 | 2024
Early Childhood Professional Practice 1
Course information for 2024 intakeView information for 2023 course intake
Integrate theory and practice by combining your university study of theory and the Early Years Learning Framework with a 20-day practical teaching experience. You’ll practise at the level expected of a postgraduate teacher of babies and toddlers.
- Study method
- Online & on-campus
- 100% online
- Start dates
- 22 July 2024,
- View 2023 dates
- Entry requirements
- Part of a degree
- 18 weeks
HECS-HELP and FEE-HELP available
Early Childhood Professional Practice 1
About this subject
On successful completion of this unit, you will be able to:
- Demonstrate the link between theory, the Early Years Learning Framework, and planning for children aged 2-5 years
- Systematically document and critically analyse the pedagogies and practices of teaching and learning, including ways to guide children's behaviour
- Demonstrate the capacity to articulate a personal philosophy of professional practice as a teacher of young children
- Interact and build relationships with young children
- Critically examine ideas, issues, and principles connected with professional decision-making as a teacher in an early childhood setting
- Demonstrate an understanding of the role of the reflective practitioner.
- A week-by-week guide to the topics you will explore in this subject will be provided in your study materials.
This subject was previously known as ECHX603 Early Childhood Professional Practice 1.
This unit incorporates both specialist theory and practice in early childhood education by combining university-based study with a 15 day professional experience in an early childhood setting. Central to the unit is the exploration of a variety of theories on how children learn. Students learn to record thoughtful, reflective observations, to use intentional teaching strategies to plan an appropriate curriculum and to follow the planning cycle. A range of teaching strategies for guiding children's learning and behaviour are considered. Students also engage in critical reflection as part of their commitment to teaching. Students will utilise their coursework knowledge to complete a compulsory professional experience in a prior to school early childhood setting with children aged two to five years.
- Professional Experience Evaluation Report (0%)
- Professional Experience Documentation (60%)
- Newsletter (40%)
For textbook details check your university's handbook, website or learning management system (LMS).
This research-intensive university in north-western Sydney offers a range of undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. With over 44,000 current students, Macquarie has a strong reputation for welcoming international students and embracing flexible and convenient study options, including its partnership with Open Universities Australia.
Learn more about Macquarie.
Explore Macquarie courses.
- QS Ranking 2024:
- Times Higher Education Ranking 2024:
To enrol in this subject, you must be admitted into a degree.
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
MAQ-ECHX601 (Not currently available)
MAQ-ECEX601 (Not currently available)
MAQ-ECHX6010 (Not currently available)
and one of
MAQ-ECHX602 (Not currently available)
MAQ-ECEX602 (Not currently available)
MAQ-ECHX6020 (Not currently available)
and one of
MAQ-ECHX600 (Not currently available)
MAQ-ECEX600 (Not currently available)
MAQ-ECHX6000 (Not currently available)
You should not enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
MAQ-ECEX603 (Not currently available)
MAQ-ECHX603 (Not currently available)
NCCW (pre-2020 units) ECED603, ECED821, ECEX603, ECHX603
Pre-requisite (ECEX600 or ECHX600 or ECHX6000) and (ECEX601 or ECHX601 or ECHX6010) and (ECEX602 or ECHX602 or ECHX6020)
- Placement requirements - includes a 15 day practical experience component. Macquarie University operates under a ‘Fitness to Practice’ model as specified in the University's Academic Progression Policy. For this Unit, this means that, when undertaking a placement, a student is declaring that they are able to demonstrate professional competence, acceptable professional behaviour, freedom from impairment, and compliance with program-specific requirements needed for a student to practice properly and safely throughout their Practical, Clinical or Professional program or unit. It is the responsibility of the student to determine whether they are fit to undertake a placement. Therefore, if a student is feeling unfit to undertake a placement, they should not do so. For more information see https://staff.mq.edu.au/work/strategy-planning-and-governance/university-policies-and-procedures/policies/academic-progression A Working with Children Check or State/Territory equivalent is required by the end of Week 3 to be eligible for a placement. Students may need to withdraw from this unit if this has not been obtained in time.
- Other requirements -
- eTextbook: Mia Mia Child & Family Study Centre. (2014). Play and materials for children birth to two years. Sydney: Macquarie University. This required text (eBook) can be purchased from Mia Mia Child & Family Study Centre. Please complete the order form located at http://iec.mq.edu.au/research/mia_mia/publications_and_resources/ and email to firstname.lastname@example.org to place your order.
- Access to a digital camera, or mobile phone or tablet with camera capability. Basic computer tools such as Microsoft Word and Powerpoint.
Students who have an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion under Macquarie University's Academic Progression Policy are not permitted to enrol in OUA units offered by Macquarie University. Students with an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion who have enrolled in units through OUA will be withdrawn.
This is in the range of 10 to 12 hours of study each week.
Equivalent full time study load (EFTSL) is one way to calculate your study load. One (1.0) EFTSL is equivalent to a full-time study load for one year.
Find out more information on Commonwealth Loans to understand what this means to your eligibility for financial support.