Warning! This subject requires you to do a practical placement, please see Special Requirements for more information.
Early Childhood Professional Practice 1
Integrate theory and practice by combining your university study of theory and the Early Years Learning Framework with a 20-day practical teaching experience. You’ll practise at the level expected of a postgraduate teacher of babies and toddlers.
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
Online & on-campus
This research-intensive university in north-western Sydney offers a range of undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. With over 30,000 current students, Macquarie has a strong reputation for welcoming international students and embracing flexible and convenient study options, including its partnership with Open Universities Australia.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
On successful completion of this unit, you will be able to:
- Successfully observe, plan and document children's learning
- Develop and practice a range of teaching techniques in the professional experience placement
- Facilitate appropriate experiences for children within the total learning environment
- Understand the professional environment of early childhood teaching
- Demonstrate an understanding of the role of the reflective practitioner.
- A week-by-week guide to the topics you will explore in this subject will be provided in your study materials.
You should not enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
- MAQ-ECEX603 (Not currently available)
- MAQ-ECHX603-Early Childhood Professional Practice 1 (No longer available)
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:one of
- MAQ-ECHX6010-Health and Well-being in Early Childhood
- MAQ-ECHX601-Health and Well-being in Early Childhood (No longer available)
- MAQ-ECEX601 (Not currently available)
- MAQ-ECHX6020-Early Childhood Development
- MAQ-ECHX602-Early Childhood Development (No longer available)
- MAQ-ECEX602 (Not currently available)
- MAQ-ECHX6000-Early Childhood Philosophy and Pedagogy
- MAQ-ECHX600-Early Childhood Philosophy and Pedagogy (No longer available)
- MAQ-ECEX600 (Not currently available)
- Placement requirements - includes a 20 day practical experience component. Macquarie University operates under a ‘Fitness to Practice’ model as specified in the University's Academic Progression Policy. For this Unit, this means that, when undertaking a placement, a student is declaring that they are able to demonstrate professional competence, acceptable professional behaviour, freedom from impairment, and compliance with program-specific requirements needed for a student to practice properly and safely throughout their Practical, Clinical or Professional program or unit. It is the responsibility of the student to determine whether they are fit to undertake a placement. Therefore, if a student is feeling unfit to undertake a placement, they should not do so. For more information see https://staff.mq.edu.au/work/strategy-planning-and-governance/university-policies-and-procedures/policies/academic-progression A Working with Children Check or State/Territory equivalent is required by the end of Week 3 to be eligible for a placement. Students may need to withdraw from this unit if this has not been obtained in time.
- Other requirements -
- eTextbook: Mia Mia Child & Family Study Centre. (2014). Play and materials for children birth to two years. Sydney: Macquarie University. This required text (eBook) can be purchased from Mia Mia Child & Family Study Centre. Please complete the order form located at http://iec.mq.edu.au/research/mia_mia/publications_and_resources/ and email to email@example.com to place your order.
- Access to a digital camera, or mobile phone or tablet with camera capability. Basic computer tools such as Microsoft Word and Powerpoint.
Students who have an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion under Macquarie University's Academic Progression Policy are not permitted to enrol in OUA units offered by Macquarie University. Students with an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion who have enrolled in units through OUA will be withdrawn.
This subject was previously known as ECHX603 Early Childhood Professional Practice 1.
This subject incorporates both specialist theory and practice in early childhood education by combining university based study with practical teaching experience in an early childhood setting. The 20-day practical experience component is based on a sound understanding that students will be operating at a level reasonably expected of a postgraduate student teacher undertaking a block of professional experience as a teacher of young children for the first time. Subject content will focus on examining and reflecting on the student's role in teaching and learning with young children from birth to two years.
- Teaching technqiues (30%)
- Documenting children's learning (30%)
- Collections with young children (40%)
- Professional Experience (0%)
Current study term: 25 Jul 21 to 05 Nov 21
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.