Creative Writing Seminar: Narrative Fundamentals
Your upfront cost: $0
- 22 Feb 2021
This research-intensive university in north-western Sydney offers a range of undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. With over 30,000 current students, Macquarie has a strong reputation for welcoming international students and embracing flexible and convenient study options, including its partnership with Open Universities Australia.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
On successful completion of this unit, you will be able to:
- Develop and demonstrate creative writing and close reading skills in relation to concepts, craft and technique.
- Plan, write, edit and rewrite creative works in the genres of poetry, short story, or novel.
- Analyse and evaluate the work of others in writing communities.
- Demonstrate knowledge of Australian and international literature and creative writing.
- Evaluate their learning in relation to their reading and writing of creative texts.
- A week-by-week guide to the topics will be provided in the study materials.
Admission to Master of Creative Writing
No special requirements
In this unit students develop their creative writing practice across one or more writing genres, drafting new creative work in the genres of the short story, novel, or poetry. Students extend their skills both in the crafting and the analysis of the craft of writing, and practice close reading skills. New approaches to craft and technique or genre are explored, and students reflect upon and interrogate their writing and writing process. Analysis and evaluation of published creative works and contemporary narrative studies inform and enlarge students’ writing skills and technical vocabularies. At the end of the unit students will have drafted, workshopped and written a new creative work in chosen genre.
- Creative work (minor) (15%%)
- Creative work (major) (50%%)
- Practice-based task (20%%)
- Online quizzes (15%%)
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.